Help Plastic Top of TRV has snapped off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking for some help here the palstic top of one of my TRV's has snapped off. The rest of the valve still works. So the question is can I replace only the top part which you move round to control the heat of the radiator or do i need to replace the whole valve.

The TRV is made by Lifestyle 15mm with temp control *-6.

Any help would be much appreciated the end of the valve which the control unit was attached to looks like it could be unscrewed but need to know if i do this whether I need to freeze the pipe first.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, the tops are removable and replaceable. If you can get hold of a new one of the same type, it may even be packaged with the top loose, but will anyway have the instructions. You can if you want throw the bottom half away once you're certain the job is successful, most of the cost is in the thermostatic head.

Theres no water involved in this, the thermostatic head just pushes against a pin sticking out of the tap. You can even take them off for decorating if you want, to save getting paint on them.

Unfortunately when I mean snapped I mean there is elements of the plastic stuck in the copper screw top which seals the plastic bit with the metal pin to get out I think i would have to unscrew the op portion removing the metal pin container or at least leavin that in place.

that's OK provided you can lay your hands on a similar replacemnt, you will see how to take off the remains of the old top. It will almost certainly disassemble as a replacable unit. There's usually a nut holding it on but without having seen yours I won't try to guess it.

All the ones I've had, have a chromed metal tap as one sub-assembly, and a head unit incorporating the knob, the thermostatic can, the numbered ring and an actuating plunger as a separate head unit, held down with a biggish nut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help JohnD having popped into B&Q and seen them disassembled i am confident this is a 5 min job just need to order the part now.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back