[Help please] Applying drywall compound on old plastered wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wanting to skim coat a old plaster wall that has been painted. Could I use compound for this instead of plaster as i'm not experienced and it would be much easier to sand and even out.

I have searched for hours but can't seem to find an answer, if someone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated! So far i have scraped off bumps and filled in cracks of plaster wall using skrim tape + all purpose filler (tetrion filler) but not sure if that was correct?

So far i have thought:
Applying PVA bond as a undercoat?
Or mixing compound with pva as the first coat then using normal for the rest?

Also i have metal corner beans that I intend the apply with skrim tape+ compound, would that also work? Or could i use skim plaster to apply the bean? (I brought a tub of skim plaster ready mix but was scared to use and im not experienced)

Thank you for your time and hopefully someone can help :D

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• D8220FC1-66D0-463F-BB55-DE32EFE9D93C.jpeg
    D8220FC1-66D0-463F-BB55-DE32EFE9D93C.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 233
  • BD7C2468-5043-47EC-A344-7624013BF6C9.jpeg
    BD7C2468-5043-47EC-A344-7624013BF6C9.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 217
to answer the question . no. when you say compound i’m assuming you mean plasterboard adhesive?

Sponsored Links
to answer the question . no. when you say compound i’m assuming you mean plasterboard adhesive?

Yeah i got a ready mix plaster joint compound, so would the only way to even out the walls to be skim plaster? thanks

i have used joint filler previously to tidy up larger areas. however your trowel skills still need to be reasonably competent or youll be sanding forever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back