Help Please!!! Ariston Boiler Sounds like it's exploding!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an Ariston Microsystem boiler (21RFFI). All's been fine for 5 years. The system started to make some ticking noises when running and I thought it was the pump and was going to change it but didn't get round to it. Yesterday the boiler stopped altogether so I've now no heating or hot water. It looked like the pump was leaking, not sure if it really was. When I tried to start the boiler it sounded like it was going to blow up, very hot water was pumped out of the overflow outlet and the boiler system stops. I changed the pump this morning. When I put more water in the system having lost some overnight, the boiler tried to start again. Same problem, very loud banging, very hot water pumps out, boiler switches off again after about 10 seconds. From reading on this forum I am thinking it's a circulation problem, and the boiler restarts when I fill it up but my guess is with no circulation the boiler heats up very quickly (10 seconds or so) then stops with the banging etc. Any other ideas what the problem might be or how I can fix it please? I haven't been able to get hold of a professional to help, first option is Tuesday! (Other info, I think it's a closed system so I've no idea how to put a cleaning fluid in the system) Thanks for any suggestions. Sean

Sponsored Links
It seems a bit confused what you have said but I gather that you have fitted a new pump.

Is that new pump turning when the boiler is working?

Is the pump shaft free to turn?

Tony

Free Tony free.. :p

make sure that all the air is bled form the boiler - is there not an AAV on the pump housing?

You have opened the service valves?

Don't expect the PRV to hold water now as well...

Yes, fitted a new pump. Sounds like it's turning OK for the short period the boiler starts.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the service valves are so I've not done anything with them.. I did use the the screw on the front of the new pump to let air out. The new pump is the same brand... a Wilo 50. Is there something else I should be doing to let air out?

It seems a bit confused what you have said but I gather that you have fitted a new pump.

Is that new pump turning when the boiler is working?

Is the pump shaft free to turn?

Tony

Sorry first time forum user... wasn't sure how to reply...

Yes, I've fitted a new pump and I think it's turning OK when the boiler trys to start. The new pump is a Wilo 50, same brand as original. I did use the the screw on the front of the new pump to let air out. Is there something else I should be doing to let air out? Thanks for replying

Have you checked the AAV (auto air vent) which I think i attached to the back of the pump housing - undo the little plastic cap a little and see if air comes out. If nothing happens then you might need a new vent.

Free Tony free.. :p

make sure that all the air is bled form the boiler - is there not an AAV on the pump housing?

You have opened the service valves?

Don't expect the PRV to hold water now as well...

Sorry for not replying sooner, never been on a forum before...

I've used the screw on the front of the pump to let air out. I don't know what service valves are or how I should bleed air from the boiler??? I'm not sure what a PRV is either.... sorry... I've the user manuals and keen to have a go as I've nothing to loose... Thanks for helping, Sean

Have you checked the AAV (auto air vent) which I think i attached to the back of the pump housing - undo the little plastic cap a little and see if air comes out. If nothing happens then you might need a new vent.

Hi Dan, I just undid the little plastic cap, nothing happened. I then unscrewed the larger plastic cap and about a bucket full of water came out pretty fast, (I'm a little wet!). The boiler tried to start automatically, I stopped it so I could put both caps back on.... tempted to switch the boiler back on to see if that's worked..... ???

If a bucket full of water came out them you will need to top the pressure up to 1.5bar.

Hi Dan, its Mrs Flanags!
Thanks for your help, Sean has just gone to top up to the 1.5 bar. It went from around 2 to 0. IYO will it be ok then to restart?

If a bucket full of water came out them you will need to top the pressure up to 1.5bar.

Sean started to put water in, as he did so the boiler started and a blue flame could be seen in the window.
All looked promising, got to 1.5bar, stopped putting in the water and a few secs later flame turned orange and loud bangs started again and steam/smoke.
Pressure then went up and down violently, boiler stops itself, orange light on front of boiler and pressure regulates at 2.
Any suggestions please?

This boiler sounds pretty goosed.

It appears there is no circulation for some reason; and is causing more dramatic results than normal...

I think the tinkering should stop and a professional called in to see if anything can be salvaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back