BoilerMate 2000 sounding like it's about to explode!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house sounds like it's under siege! The BoilerMate 2000 is making ground-shakingly loud banging/clanging noises when we reset the Baxter boiler (which after heating up some water, then shuts off again).

I just went up into the attic & the overflow tank was full of hot water. I asked my wife to reset the boiler downstairs again & within a minute, a full flow of hot water came right up through the pipe.

Sounds like something in the BoilerMate unit is blocked I guess? (or could it be something else?)

Either way, not easily fixed by a DIY chicken*** like me I suspect...

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!

Thx,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Check the simple things first... Is the pump that circulates water between the boiler and the Gledhill running as it should? It could be a simple issue of the pump not running or jammed

Check the simple things first... Is the pump that circulates water between the boiler and the Gledhill running as it should? It could be a simple issue of the pump not running or jammed

Hey!

it sounds like the pump is turning normally, yes, but there's an unusually loud sound of 'air-bubbles in pipes' coming from inside the unit...

When I turn on the immersion, it gives us hot water, but no heat goes to the radiators... ...which does suggest a failed pump, right??

Many thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Even many professionals do not like that model!

Have you had inhibitor in the water?

Tony

Hey!

it sounds like the pump is turning normally, yes, but there's an unusually loud sound of 'air-bubbles in pipes' coming from inside the unit...

When I turn on the immersion, it gives us hot water, but no heat goes to the radiators... ...which does suggest a failed pump, right??

Many thanks,
Dave

Perhaps, perhaps not but if the central heating part of the gledill isn't working then this wouldn't cause the noises that you hear... You have 3 pumps and it is the one on the far left that circulates between the Gledhill and the boiler... thoughif you can hear air being circulated then you may have issues with the gledhill not filling properly from its feed and expansion tank.... The grey tank above the Gledhil.. If that pump is running when the boiler is being asked to heat, then I'd be looking for a blockage.... To be fair, the Gledhil Boilermates can be a little odd to work on and parts can be pretty dear, so I would point you in the direction of a plumber in your area who has the nowse to work on them.... If it is old, then I would be inclined to replace it for an unvented cylinder

Having re read your initial post, I'm thinking the left hand pump isn't pumping causing the boiler to boil, causing all that racket..

thanks for all the replies chaps! much appreciated...

my wife's dug out a British Gas 'cover' contract & arranged for someone to come around on Thursday... will point him in the direction of the pumps on the BoilerMate (which we affectionately now call 'the bomb')

:oops:

Dave

Even if the pump was not pumping then the boiler should still control its temperatures,

Tony

Not so Tony.. If the pump had failed, then the boiler would light, heat up rapidly and boil before the thermostat would get chance to operate though the overheat would kick in and shut the boiler down and not operate 'till the overheat is reset.. Which appears to be what is happening..

Morning All,

Turns out the circulation pump was fried & the hot water pump was only just running - both need to be replaced along with 2 hot water sensors & 4 valves... full day of work for the nice British Gas chaps, coming back Tuesday to sort it out...

Thanks again for the help/suggestions!

d.

:)

I hope they have correctly diagnosed the HW pump.

Depending on model, some modulate the HW pump so that they turn slower under some conditions.

The first post said the Boilermate made the sound and they had to reset the "Baxter" boiler!

Tony

Hi, I have exactly the same fault, a local plummer said its the pump on the left, we replaced that but still banging at the downstairs boiler, he now wants to replace the PCB, I am just worried that if I pay to replace that and it still dosnt fix the fault i will be up the creak.
Please advise.
Thanks
David teabag

Indeed, they can be dear things to fix if the guy working on it isn't sure how to diagnose them... Check everything before buying parts..The PCBs can be pretty dear items

Thanks for that I hoped you would reply as you seem to know exactly what the fault is due to your earlier post. if that pump was not getting a signal to work would it possibly be the pcb,
If the pcb was at fault would the system not even try to fire up, let alone fire up the switch itself off.
David teabag

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back