Help please at my wit's end - roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm not sure what to do but my mum's roof has leaked for some time and had a roofer out who I think was a bit of a cowboy and just added some sealent around the flashing and charged her a lot.

It still leaks but only when the wind is blowing against it. I have had a look and I noticed that it was damp behind the uPVC on the flashing see picture, so I looked at the seals around the window above and found gaps so I've sealed them. Picture attached. This hasn't worked either.

The tiles and gutting are all in good order but she has a hole in the kitchen ceiling as its leaked so much over time.

Any advice were to look or what to do other than trying to find a roofer that won't rip her off.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_090208110_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20201113_090208110_HDR~2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20210112_102551961~2.jpg
    IMG_20210112_102551961~2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
More pictures needed. Show a wider area especially above the leak ,full height would be useful too

Hi are these photos any help, I have circled in red were the leak has found its way out through the downstairs roof area.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_070729548~2.jpg
    IMG_20210311_070729548~2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20210311_070722346.jpg
    IMG_20210311_070722346.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20210311_070719620.jpg
    IMG_20210311_070719620.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
Do you mean the black seal in the windows, I looked at these and some have shrunk but any water that gets in drains out onto the window cill through the uPVC drain?

Thanks again

As datarebal says - missing lead tray that the window should sit in - then it looks like the window surround has been covered with plastic cladding, so the leak is behind that cladding. It all needs to come off and someone who can do proper leadwork to take out the window and make a correct tray then sit the window on it. Good luck finding a capable roofer.

Thank you datarebal and Nige F I really do appreciate it, I sealed what areas around the frame I could see previously and have had another look around and there's maybe one or two small areas that could do with resealing but I don't think that will be causing the problem as they are set back and not open to the elements but will seal anyway. Regarding the tray I've just checked some other houses on the estate built like this all done in the 1980s and none of them have a tray fitted so I'm assuming it wasn't mandatory then?

I'm really glad I stopped the so called 'roofer' that wanted to strip the roof and refit it saying that's the problem when I did as I was adamant that the roof seemed to be in good order, like you say it is going to be very difficult to find a good reliable roofer to do this job, or I try and find this pesky leak but I don't think that is going to be possible but as it only occurs when the wind is blowing the rain against the windows it gives me some hope I my find it, or maybe not!

Thanks, not sure why they didn't fit trays to any of the houses when they were built. Will try sealing the few gaps that ive seen around the window when the wind has dropped and see what happens but like you say will probably have to try and fid a roofer see what's going on. Fingers crossed, last time I needed one one was a cowboy, three never turned up and one repeating said he would come and never did. Really frustrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back