Leaking roof best option

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've currently got a leaking roof that's causing me a few problems. As you can see by the pictures it has let water into my daughter's bedroom!! So far I've been let down by numerous roofers not turning up and the 3 that have turned up have all said different thing's. One has tried fix it but it still leaks and is now not interested

Roofer 1. ridge tile needed removing and rebedding done still leaking!!

Roofer 2 can't see the problem but will reseal around lead flashing with cement and anywhere else that needs it.

Roofer 3 repaint/seal white board with masonry type paint, reseal flashing and gap between flashing and board. If that fails then latter in the year remove first 3 rows of tiles and replace felt/sarking as he said it's the old style and has started to fail.
However sarking looks good in that area to me. I'm unsure if i should try to find some more roofers to quote or go with one of the above
All advice welcome
Dave

Attachments

• Child room.JPG
    Child room.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Childs beam.JPG
    Childs beam.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Child room roof.JPG
    Child room roof.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Child room beam 2.jpg
    Child room beam 2.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 286
Sponsored Links
About 5 courses up looks like some flashing damage, might be wrong.
Also you need to sort that insulation out. The space between the felt and ceiling should not be full.
The troubled section has none

I've got some better pictures of the flashing will post up tomorrow. Yeah i had just moved the insulation across as i was trying to find the initial leak
Cheers

what is "the gap between flashing and board"?
the render must be exposed to serious weather to show such staining and whatever?

the moisture could be entering at the junction of the flashing and the abutment render - the moisture then crosses the felt before finding a low point to splash on the ceiling below.
the abutment flashing looks like it could be a series of cavity trays - the type that are built-in as the abutment wall is built.
but your bedroom appears to be in an extension built at a later date?

the ridge appears to have been stopped short of the abutment?
the last ridge tile is cocked up and doesn't look too sound.
no "sealing with cement" is needed. neither do you need a sand & cement fillet.

pics showing flashing detail will help.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your reply. yes we live close to the coast and on the top of a hill so when it's windy and wet we do tend to get hammered.

sounds like roofer 3 is on the same sort of thinking as he thinks the board/render may of become quite porous and allowing water to possibly run down between flashing and onto felt like you stated. bedroom is original as no extension has been built .

ridge tile was supposedly removed and reset but im sure you may tell me otherwise as photos below were taken today .
please excuse the close up photos of flashing as these was the best i could do with a selfie stick out of the window ha ha.
many thanks again

Attachments

• DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC00248.JPG
    DSC00248.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 20200301_103546.jpg
    20200301_103546.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 20200301_103543.jpg
    20200301_103543.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 261
thanks for the pics, i understand the difficulties in taking them.

your flashing is not as i thought - you have continuous runs of lead cover flashing dressed over the tile profiles. this is fine until the flashing meets the board - the flashing should then have a 100mm min upstand that goes behind the board.
the board should stop short of the tile/wall junction.this is an area that, typically, a separate cover flashing is used.
sometimes, the roofing felt should also have a felt upstand behind the lead upstand.
this is the suspect area - maybe made worse by moisture being pulled off the lead by capillary action, and up and over any upstand?
its possible that the board is saturated and allowing moisture to find the felt by gravity?

some of the angles on your photos puzzle me - esp at the ridge/abutment?
so does the fact that the board was fixed below the roofline before the roof was built? for what purpose?
when you hacked at the board in the loft was any insulation or vapour barrier present in the board?
essentially, i dont recognise that particular board - perhaps others will ID it?

google pics from the lead sheet assn showing some of these details.

as you know, you will need a roofer on site to open things up and try and expose whats behind or below the flashing and the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back