Garage condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I put a post on about my garage roof leaking which a roofer has said can be repaired but resealing the middle joint and front right corner and bolts all over the roof.

However during the winter I get really bad condensation forming on the inside garage roof, not on the front 1/3 of the roof only the back 2/3 any ideas how to correct this?

There is no need for a new roof as roofer said the board are in good condition View media item 55887

Sponsored Links
The back two thirds is where the least ventilation is i.e. away from the draughty garage door.

Insulate, ventilate.

I had thought that might be the issue however to the rear of the garage there is an open gap between the top of the wall and the roof that runs the whole length of the back wall, so would the air not flow round via this?

How would I ventilate more?

Surely if I insulate the inside of the roof this would also become damp and one day would fall down through being soaked?

I has thought of attaching plasterboard/ply wood to the concrete beams to cover the whole inside of the roof but unsure what the fill the gap with between board and roof?

I can see there are 2 vents at the back of the garage also at the same side top and bottom........The top one seems to have been blocked with cement (see photo) and also the inside has boards up which would not block it completed once cement is removed but owner must have used this to hang tool so prob best removing the blockage, and cutting hole in inside wooden panel?

the bottom one has a wooden panel on the inside to block it. I am guess owner did this as there is a lot of snails during the summer/autumn. So remove that panel and see what develops?

Would it also be worth drilling a block of six holes at the opposite side up the top and maybe 6 holes too the right or left top of the window to act as a vent?

Also as said earlier underneath the white overhang you can put your hand under and over the back wall into the garage so that is a clear vent from left to right

View media item 56199 View media item 55887

Sponsored Links
I am wondering if this could be too ventilated as the 2 vents at the rear have been blocked up....and I wonder why?

Any suggestion as air must flow in from the back of the garage through the gap where the roof over hangs

Most of the condensation will be from the leak that you had. When it's dried out it should be fine.

The leak is only across the middle joint and it not a very big leak....so not 100% this would be the cause of condensation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back