Help please - leaking gully at the back of chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm wanting to help an elderly neighbour of mine who's has a persistent leak from his roof. A roofer (of sorts) has been to fix this 3 times and each time the problem remains. He has a chimney mid way up his roof (rather than the on the ridge) and on the back of the chimney there's a dip where a pool of water collects and we suspect water leaks into his house from here.

I'm fairly handy with property repair etc so if I can find the correct approach I might do this for him or if it seems too tricky then I'm going to help him find a decent roofer. I was thinking of removing the piece of flashing in the dip holding the pool of water. Adding a piece of marine ply so it's no longer a dip and cover that with flashing to direct the water to either side of the chimney.

Can I ask people if this sounds the right approach in this situation. Or what would you do?

20200711_144757.jpg
20200711_144818.jpg
20200711_144842.jpg

Steve

Sponsored Links
The width of the chimney is 31 inches. Should I be looking to build a chimney cricket / saddle here?

Tiles, lead need removed and a new saddle installed.
Its not the easiest of jobs to diy, but if you are confident.
Put a bit if thought into safe access first.

Thanks Alastair. So far I've only seen to images of saddles being installed on shingle roofs. Is the approach still valid for a tiled roof? Are there any valid alternatives to a saddle or is it the only correct way to solve this?

Sponsored Links
exact same approach.
Take note of how it is constructed when you remove the lead and tiles, its probably a rotten bit of sarkin needs replaced.
You need to figure out what has caused it to rot in the first place ..maybe not enough upstand on the lead at the tiles or chimney side.

no no other alternative methods short of removing chimney.

theres a few wrong things with that lead flashing and back gutter. see pete scholey at just lead doing a back gutter from scratch on you tube

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back