Help Please My paper has shrunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

So I started working on my living room the other day I did all the prep work got all the walls nice and smooth then I sized the walls to stop them absorbing moisture then I put the lining paper up and it all looked very good left if for 24hrs to dry looked even better

Now I have put my paper on the walls and have got up this morning and I have white lines down each piece off paper where it has shrunk I did not stretch the paper when I was hanging it as I try to touch it as less as passable to avoid getting gaps

Now the only thing I can think off is the heating has come on in the morning about 8 hrs later for an hour could this be the cause ?

Any ides what could be causing this

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to give the paper about 5 minutes for the paste to soak in, and then when you put it on the wall, you push it towards the previous piece, and as you work across the paper, you keep pushing it backwards. If you push it outwards on both sides, then it can shrink back as it dries.

hey thanks

I have only been giving it 2-3 mins will try giving it longer and see if that helps thanks again

If you past about 4 to 5 pieces, then by the time you start putting up the first one, then it'll have had enough time to soak in. I use a roller to get a good amount of paste on the paper, and it works quick and efficient.

Sponsored Links
so my new wallpaper arrives this week it is Embossed Non Woven should i paste the wall or the paper for best results if i paste the paper i should let it soak for 5 mins right ?

Am i right in saying Nonwoven neither expands nor contracts. These wallpapers do not change their size, and do not shrink when they are dry. So this should fix my problems

allso can i paste the wall even if the wallpaper is not paste the wall

Last edited:
If the paper is a paste the wall type then you can paste the wall or the paper. But do not soak the paper, put it straight on the wall once pasted.
Paste the wall type paper does not expand and as such doesn't need to be soaked. If the paper is a normal paper with a soaking time you cannot paste the wall as this wouldn't soak the paper at all.

Nicely put Robbie, but there are times when you can paste the paper and let is soak, and paste the wall as well with a light coat. Most walls that have been stripped can be a little dry, and unless the paper has been well and truly soaked, then doing the wall as well can make the job easier overall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back