Put wallpaper on, but next morning 10mm gap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating a room that has woodchip paper on and I was just going to emulsion it all, but a couple of pieces of the paper needed replacing. I stripped those pieces off and prepped the wall well and repapered. I'm an amateur, so it took a bit of repositioning the paper to get it right. I kept smoothing out air bubbles with a wet sponge. It looked reasonable when I'd finished but the next day the paper must have shrunk, I'm guessing, and there were gaps between the line of the old paper and that of the new paper. Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
You did not leave enough time for the paper to soak properly when you pasted it , is this wallpaper with a pattern

You did not leave enough time for the paper to soak properly when you pasted it , is this wallpaper with a pattern
No it's woodchip. You say that maybe I didn't leave enough time but I did give it about 6 or 7 minutes and then I was so long repositioning it etc that it was probably 40 minutes or more before I had it fully in place. As I say, I'm a rank amateur!

Possibly pulled and stretched it to much then, if its woodchip run down the gap with fine surface polyfilla then paint over the woodchip this should lose the gap, I normally keep four lengths of paper pasted on the go at any one time

Sponsored Links
Possibly pulled and stretched it to much then, if its woodchip run down the gap with fine surface polyfilla then paint over the woodchip this should lose the gap, I normally keep four lengths of paper pasted on the go at any one time

Thanks. No chance of me getting that skilful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back