putting new wallpaper on old backing paper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am repapering and have peeled off the vinyl layer (easily) of the original wallpaper.

The backing is stuck very well to a lining paper and is smooth and in good condition.

Can I paper onto this to save stripping it all off? If so do I need to prime with pva or emulsion etc?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it is firmly stuck all over to the lining paper, and if the lining paper is firmly stuck to the wall plaster, then yes you can.
However, if either of the two papers still up are peeling, they will cause the new paper to peel as well. Shouldn't need to prime or pva but, the thickness of all the papers may draw the moisture out of the paste much quicker. You may also find it a bit more difficult to slide into position without stretching it more than advisable.
Assuming all is good though, there is one thing to bear in mind. Next time you come to re-paper it is advisable to remove ALL existing papers and start afresh. One of the reasons is because you are building up a thick paper base and there are bugs in a home which love to burrow into nice soft materials such as paper/cardboard etc.

If you just have the backing paper left, wet it and take it off! It’ll soften up and possibly pukker up under your new paper when it gets soaked with paste.

It's not a backing paper. It's the back of the peelable vinyl paper. Will bubble like anything when you try and paper over. That's what I think having not seen it. Common mistake to make.

Sponsored Links
I do remember having vinyl paper that was supposed to have a backing that could be left on and papered over.
That was many years ago.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have stuck a small section on and it stuck down well but as you say I couldn't move it around easily.

I wet a section and it came off quite easily but there is a lining paper underneath, most of it stayed on but a few sections ripped off revelaing what looks like unpainted plaster.

Might just have to bite the bullet and strip it all back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back