Can vinyl backing paper be used as lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of redecorating my bedroom. I have managed to strip off the top (vinyl) layer of the old wallpaper leaving me with the backing paper which is in very good condition.

I could strip this off relatively easily as it will absorb water and come off the walls hopefully fairly quickly.

On the other hand I could treat it as lining paper and just wallpaper over it! Would this be acceptable? I appreciate that the surface could absorb the new paste and so adhesion would be poor.

If the answer is to seal it with a coat of emulsion, say, I would be better off stripping it off.

Sponsored Links
The backing paper of wallpaper is not designed like lining paper. If you emulsion over it, it will most likely bubble up as if it were being wet to strip it. If its easy to come off, its best to take it off and re-line the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back