HELP PLEASE.NEW-BORN BABY IN THE HOUSE!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY BOILER IS LOSING PRESSURE CONSTANTLY.IT KEEPS DROPPING AND THE LOW PRESSURE LIGHT COMES ON.IT TOPS UP FINE AND WORKS FOR ABOUT 2 OR 3 HOURS BUT SLOWLY LEAKS AWAY AGAIN THROUGH THE OUTLET.ANY HELP IS WELL APPRECIATED!!!THANKS!!!

Please note frum rule 6

Sponsored Links
The boiler PRV (Pressure Relief valve) is letting by this is because the pressure has at some point climbed in excess of 3 Bar and the boiler has done it's job correctly by making the situation safe.When the PRV blows it is very rare that they reseat themselves properly, so it will need replacing. You should look inot the reason why the valve operated in the first place, have you topped up the pressure to much at some point ?
It could be that the expansion vessel on the back of the boiler (The big orange chamber) has lost it's charge.. Give us more details.. make/model how old the system is and we may be able to help further..

And by the way......
:D :D CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BABY :D :D

It a Potterton Puma 80e, about 7 years old. I can't afford a new one and it coudn't be worse for timing!! It may have been topped up too much but not as much as up to 3 bar.Where is the pressure Relief Valve, any idea how much and is it easy to do?

Sponsored Links
That problem is solved now and the heating is on and not shutting off but the pressure seems to be gradually climbing and I'm worried the same thing may happen again.Any suggestions??? PLEASE??

99% sure that its the expansion vessel.

You can check it by doing the following:

1. Isolate your boiler using the 2 taps which look like washing machine isolators on the 22mm pipes next to each other on the RH side of the underside of the boiler.

2. Drain the boiler from the PRV (bottom of boiler, red knob with "3 Bar" written on it. Turn it anticlockwide about 180 degrees until you hear water rushing out of the PRV pipe to outside. Leave the PRV in the open position, can be tricky but you have to do this!

3. With the PRV open to the atmosphere, and the boiler isolated from the CH system, get a car foot pump with a pressure gauge (£10 from Halfords it you don't have one), and climb on the nearest worktop to the boiler.

4. Locate the expansion vessel. Its a big red/orange thing on the back of the boiler at the top. It has a schraeder valve, like a car tyre on the top.

5. Put your foot pump on the valve, read the pressure. If its '0', then the vessel is flat. If its flat, try pressing the schraeder valve with your finger or a pen or something, if you get water out its a bad sign and the vessel will need replaced - not a DIY job!

6. If no water comes out of the valve, then put your pump back on the valve and top it up to about 0.8 or 0.9 bar.

If done correctly, this will take up the extra pressure created when the system water expands in volume due to being heated by the boiler.

After the above steps, remove your foot pump, shut the PRV, open the isolation valves, top the boiler up and run it on CH. Let us know what happens.

Can you - anyone - tell me what it is about a new baby that people worry about so much? They always seem to have masses of clothes and couldn't care less about the boiler needing to be topped up.
Not getting at you sir - but I do find it strange. Last time I heard it it was "I have no hot water and I have a baby". Baby's bath was so small a couple of kettles of hot would have been enough!

TO ACOPERSON:
I did as you said and it all made sense but the same thing is happening again. Boiler is firing up fine and all is well, then the pressure gauge starts a steady but slow ascent.I can get the heating on for ten minutes at a time but have to watch the gauge and shut it down before it hits the 3 bar in case the PRV blows again.What next??? What's the other 1%.
Thanks a lot by the way, I really appreciate your help and now I have a trusty new foot pump!!!

TO CHRIS: I GET YOUR POINT!! But you know women.Well if you're not married already........... don't go and do anything foolish now!!! Take your pick: A BROKEN OLD BOILER OR A SCREAMING BABY. I reckon I'm on a winner with the boiler!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I followed the instructions I was given by ACOPERSON. I think I got it right. Maybe not?? Now you got me doubting!
Sounds like a sound and rational girl to me!!! There are babies in igloos somewhere still, probably or there was at some stage.They grew up to be be plumbers though I bet.

The pressure keeps rising then blows? Could it be the valve to pressurise the boiler is passing? Get the pressure to 1 bar, then turn off the mains water. If the pressure stays steady, that could be the cause.

vinniejones said:
The pressure keeps rising then blows? Could it be the valve to pressurise the boiler is passing? Get the pressure to 1 bar, then turn off the mains water. If the pressure stays steady, that could be the cause.

I am a big fan of yours Vincent. Especially from your playing days at the mighty whites.
****e footballer, 1st class geezer. :LOL: :LOL:

Can you repeat the process I suggested, but before closing the PRV and repressurising, keep the foot pump gauge on the expansion vessel and have the pressure at 0.8 or 0.9 bar.

Leave it like that for 5 minutes with the boiler off and without water in it and then read the gauge again. Ensure that the pressure has not fallen, if it has then the vessel is ruptured.

Let us know the outcome.

Ok. I have done all you said and am sure I did it correctly but still no joy unfortunately. I called potterton and they said the expansion vessel should be at 1Bar so that is what I have it at. What next buddy??

Do you mean the pressure in the exp vessel or the normal boiler pressure that you want me to set at 1??

The pressure in the ex vessel hasn't fallen and I'm still in the same boat.Pressure still climbs when the heating comes on and now I'm gonna need a new PRV again! ??????? This bloody boiler. That other 1%...... What is sit?

How sure are you that the filling loop is not letting water by when turned off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back