Help! Where has my water pressure gone :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've have recently had a new bathroom fitted, and now I have really low pressure in my sink and bath.

I used to have quite high water pressure (at least high enough that I could use the hose on the bathroom taps - which is not possible now as the pressure is so low that the button to switch the flow of the water from the taps to the hose keeps popping up !!!), but now it seems to be pathetic

They moved the cold water pipe from being in an external wall, to being in an internal wall, but otherwise all the units are pretty much in the same positions as the old bathroom. I also noticed they installed some lever shut-off valves in the loft

Any help/advice that you can give is muchly appreciated :oops: :cry: :(

Cheers

Mark[/b]

please note forum rule 5 you can use the
icon_edit.gif
button to correct it

Sponsored Links
There are many ways of reducing the flow rate:

1. Use small more pipework;
2. Make the pipework tortuous;
3. Introduce restrictive valves;
4. Use small bore flexible hoses;
5. Use taps with small waterways designed for high pressures.

Do the opposite of all that and you'll optimise the flow.

If you can't improve it enough then you could fit a twin impeller pump.

A lot of new bathroom taps, especially monobloc style, have very restrictive internal borings. They are often foreign made and fine for high pressure systems. They are not too good on our gravity systems here in the uk though and bottleneck the flow. If the plumber has used flexable tap connectors, and perhaps introduced some other restrictive plumbing, then this all adds up to poor flow.

The shop I install for always ask about the customers water system. They have a good selection of taps that are especially for low flow systems. I know a lot of shops dont even bother asking and just supply any old tap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back