low pressure cold water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just installed single lever basin taps in my upstairs bathroom - the water is now trickling and actually stops when the bath single lever taps are turned on. It was never fast running with a old style single tap but now it has nearly stopped.

i have read that i should connect a hose pipe from down stairs mains pressure tap and try to back push any air in the system.

My upstairs bathroom is fed from a cold water tank in loft space above so drop is only about 3 metres.

can any one offer me good advice

Sponsored Links
Thanks - but the old taps are at the bottom of a giant pit of rubbish and the taps are in fact low pressure - so the manufacturers tell me.

Following advice seen on this forum I have just tried to back pressure using a garden hose -
1 i am soaking wet as water squirted everywhere and on to me.
2 It still hasnt worked as water is still trickling.

Any further advice please - it would be good if i am not covered in water to fix this.

1 I think i may need to check if pipes are not blocked - -- HOW do i do this.
2 I could change the taps but as i bought a new basin with one hole i can not revert to 2 holes. This could be a waste of money and time.

3 i could raise the cold water tank but 1.5 metres. This could be a waste of money and time

4 i could buy a pump? This will fix it but it seems an expensive route?

Suggestions please

Sponsored Links
if the hot and cold are the same, you can bet the taps are not suitable for low pressure, but

Check the flexible hoses are not kinked, any valve are fully on, is the hot/cold ok elsewhere.

The best way to back fill/remove air is to open a tap and link the hot & cold washing machine hoses.

Taps for single hole basins are supplied with 8mm or 10mm tails and these alone seriously restrict the flow of water.

Raising the cistern can have a greater effect than expected but will probably be insufficient in your case.

Rather than unscientifically saying "a trickle"could you measure each flow rate in litres per minute?

Manufacturers are usually rather reluctant to give proper information on the flow rates through their taps when supplied at poor pressure.

Tony

Many Many thanks to all those who contributed - Problem now resolved. Hooray It must have been an AIR lock -- 10 mins to fix

I back filled properly this time by fixing the garden house to a disconnected valve and pushing it hard over the 15 ml pipe so i could get a tight fit . I closed off all the taps and turned on the garden pipe and air which i could hear was pushed up into the cold water tank over flow ( i think ) in the attic.

My hot and cold water now flow at the same pressure not great but the same as it has been for the past 20 years. The taps need min of 0.3 bar and base of tank is approx 2.5 metres above tap outlet

I did not use a washing machine connector i just forced the rim of the hose pipe over the 15 ml pipe.

My cold water bath tap when on --- no longer weakens the water flow of the basin tap.
A simple fix -no more thoughts of raising the top level of the house and cold water tank to brush my teeth.

cheers

That implies that your hot and cold water are both supplied from the SAME single outlet on your cistern.

Thats bad practice although often seen more recently.

As I had not expected that was the case I did not think that it was going to be an air lock.

Lucky you!

Tony

Hi Tony
It an old system fitted some 25 years ago. I do not think what i have is any different than 70% of what exists in London Houses.

I am sure i have a run of the mill system of the 80s

Im just pleased the garden pipe cleared the air lock, in fact i connected the garden pipe to the toilet valve.

The hot and cold pressure is the same i guess because the bar pressure is the same. Cold water tank is in the loft and Hot water cylinder is floor below ( my upstairs ) basin tap is also upstairs adjoining to room where hot cylinder is.

thanks

Dom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back