low cold pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just installed single lever basin taps in my upstairs bathroom - the water is now trickling and actually stops when the bath single lever taps are turned on. It was never fast running with a old style single tap but now it has nearly stopped.

i have read that i should connect a hose pipe from down stairs mains pressure tap and try to back push any air in the system.

My upsatirs bathroom is fed from a cold water tank in loft space above so drop is only about 3 metres.

can any one offer me good advice

Sponsored Links
Did you check it was connected properly at the consumer unit? Perhaps the RCD has tripped?

(should this be in plumbing rather than 'lectrics? ;) )

I have seen this happen before. When old style taps are replaced in gravity fed bathrooms, the flow does sometimes drop to almost nothing. I'm not sure there is much you can do except change to mains fed taps (and one of combi/unvented cylinder/thermal store for hot).

Remedial action might be to get your loft tank lifted higher (fairly cheap) and/or use thicker supply pipe from the tank to your bathroom. This may not make a lot of difference however.

Note that some taps are marked "only for use with high pressure systems".

Thanks guys

yes this shld not be under lectrics - - i have added this to plumbing - but strange lectrics have given me more response.

i changed from old style two tap basin hole to one hole and as all the world are selling single lever taps i thought - no problem - A BIG Mistake by me.

Well yes there are i think a number of options. But what is the cheapest ?

Is there a blockage ? i suspect not - i tried to to give back pressure by using a a garden hose and holding under the tap - but just quirts back everywhere - is there a Proper way of doing this.

Will raisng the cold water tank fix this ?
Will buying new taps fix this ?
I think a pump could fix this but how much are they to buy?
Mains pressure should also fix this?

As i have already created a problem by simply changing my old 25 years 2 hole basin to a single hole i do not want to create problem after problem?

My instinct is telling me just install a pump??
i live in typical london uk house 3 up 2 down cold water tank in loft.
What is the best and surest and cheapest way?

Sponsored Links
Many Many thanks to all those who contributed - Problem now resolved. Hooray It must have been an AIR lock -- 10 mins to fix

I back filled properly this time by fixing the garden house to a disconnected valve and pushing it hard over the 15 ml pipe so i could get a tight fit . I closed off all the taps and turned on the garden pipe and air which i could hear was pushed up into the cold water tank over flow ( i think ) in the attic.

My hot and cold water now flow at the same pressure not great but the same as it has been for the past 20 years. The taps need min of 0.3 bar and base of tank is approx 2.5 metres above tap outlet

I did not use a washing machine connector i just forced the rim of the hose pipe over the 15 ml pipe.

My cold water bath tap when on --- no longer weakens the water flow of the basin tap.
A simple fix -no more thoughts of raising the top level of the house and cold water tank to brush my teeth.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back