Help please! Rusting beading on new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is less than five years old and in a number of areas you can see rust coming through the galvansied beading, and on one window the render has blown away from the beading. :(

I have attached a few photos below:-

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21njn13&s=7
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2i24qhf&s=7

What should I do? Rub down, fill, prime with anti rust and repaint or get a quote to have all the beading stripped out and replaced with stainless or plastic beading? If I have all the beading replaced at the corners and windows does anybody know how much roughly it might cost for a 4 bedroom house?

Advice much needed before thw winter!

Also does anybody think that the NHBC should cover it as the galvanised beading has obviously failed in such a short period?

Sponsored Links
What should I do? Rub down, fill, prime with anti rust and repaint or get a quote to have all the beading stripped out and replaced with stainless or plastic beading? If I have all the beading replaced at the corners and windows does anybody know how much roughly it might cost for a 4 bedroom house?

Advice much needed before thw winter!

Also does anybody think that the NHBC should cover it as the galvanised beading has obviously failed in such a short period?

I would have thought either stainless steel or plastic beads should have been used for external, as you suggest as possible replacement.

I can't offer a huge amount of advice, but a little contribution -
if you got the beads out, then I would have thought it v difficult to blend seamlessly back with your existing. Wouldn't have thought you'd be able to rub down the beads (as they are buried mostly in the render), and even after anti-rust/paint, will start to rust again in a short time.

I believe NHBC covers for 10 yrs and is usually a last resort. Have you approached your builder first? (I'm assuming it was one of the big companies).
At less than 5 yrs old, you may stand a chance they will sort it for you, as they prob used a sub-contractor that they should be responsible for.

There are some good pros on here, who I'm sure can help further. ;)

Dont think the beads can be replaced without leaving a visible joint.

looks like tyrolean, Roughcasters your man for that.

Sponsored Links
galve beads always rust at the cuts,thats why regs sat stainless,cant fix it so replace!
to my understanding its been out of spec for the last five years!

It's pretty sure to rust out all over the house wherever it was used. It'll all have to replaced.

Thanks for the advice so far, in answer to a few responses I live in Suffolk but about 10 miles from the sea and yes the render finish is sandtex highbuild.

The house was built in 2006 so less than 5 years old but when I approached the builder (Taylor Wimpey) they said it was a 'maintenance' issue which got my back up- I am minded to get a quote to do the job properly with fit for purpose materials and take them to the small claims court!

Is it an expensive job to replace the beading on the house corners (6 of them) and windows (14 of them)? I dont mind some visible signs provided the rusting is solved? What sort of cost am I looking at?

Well it's clearly not 'fit for the purpose' so I'd just take them to court to get it fixed. No maintenance that the home-owner could carry out would have prevented it.

Ask the builder to see the spec for the render. Builder is initially responsible.

Contact the NHBC and ask for the inspection details and what spec was. 99% certain the spec will say stainless steel beading.

If the spec doesn't say that, go down the route of asking MHBC of why they allowed cert for render with galv beading . Also find out who okayed the spec, as it is non standard with galv beads

That beading all needs to be replaced . There is no way of maintaining them and don't let anyone tell you other wise. The builder will try.

Bell casts, stops etc all galv?

You will see the repairs , so a few options -

- live with repair joins
- go over whole render with a rendaid / sbr slurry and re render, or a hi build/ texture render finish
- form raised bands over repairs to hide them, so that they look like part of the design. (My favoured option in this case, job unseen of course)

Repairs will look awful!! You pay all that money for a house that's less than five years old :eek: and the outside coating is rotting away already. I wouldn't even dream of trying to repair that. I think Micilin's suggestion of raised bands, as features, could/would do the trick,,,, but as i said, you shouldn't have to do that with a "new" property.

Repairs will look awful!! You pay all that money for a house that's less than five years old :eek: and the outside coating is rotting away already. I wouldn't even dream of trying to repair that. I think Micilin's suggestion of raised bands, as features, could/would do the trick,,,, but as i said, you shouldn't have to do that with a "new" property.

Makes you wonder where we are heading, RC - but then we have a fair idea , I suppose :(

Makes you wonder where we are heading, RC - but then we have a fair idea , I suppose :(

Most of it's got to do with money,,, build 'em quick, build 'em cheap, then sell 'em off for as much as possible. By the time thay start to fall to bits, the construction company doesn't want to know, and the customer's left with the problems. There's still a heck of a lot of good builders out there though. To be honest, many of the countrys biggest building contractors are the worst for building the shodiest properties.

Guys,

I really appreciate your advice its a trade that I have no experience in but now I am going to contact NHBC and ask the questions over render specification, inspection sign off etc and also the same of the Builder- in the past I feel I was fobbed off so I will report back here!

The house was built in Autum 2005 and I moved in Feb 2006 so you think at the time galvanised beading for external use was not allowed or just not recommended?

What causes the galvanised steel to rust- is it the render scratching the surface when applied damaging the galvanising layer or is it just going to rust anyway?

Also if there is anyone in the Suffolk area who could inspect and advise me of the best solution and repair costs feel free to send me a message.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back