Help please water dripping from inside of upvc door then down the frame into room

Ber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just come across this site which looks great and I’m hoping someone can help me resolve this problem: How to stop water getting inside upvc door?

During our recent long spells of rain I noticed that one of a pair of inward opening upvc patio doors appears to have water inside the door. I say this because when I opened the leading door water is dripping from the bottom corner (NOT the hinge corner); when the door is closed the drips run down the inside of the frame and into the gap between the frame and the solid wood floor (glued onto concrete floor below). See red arrows in photos as rough indication.
Result is that floor is badly cupped / risen up and discoloured etc. I think similar is happening with the secondary door. The central frame / flying mullion is attached to the secondary door (when both doors are open there’s is no frame post in the middle of the opening)

So... the door drains are clear and working (having only discovered there are such things last week and clearing and testing them, I had thought that was the source of the problem but then noticed the dripping door)

There is a weather strip on the outside of the door which frequently pops off, it is held in place by 2 (should be 3 but one disappeared) plastic things that look like screws but push into holes in the door. I’m wondering if water is getting between the door and the strip then into the door around the screw things but doesn’t feel that so much water could enter via this route. I’m thinking of trying to seal along the top of the strip - see blue arrows in one of the photos.

Think has been going on for some time (but I thought cause was maybe concrete floor was damp and the walls have damp problems despite being rerendered etc).

A second query - I am also planning on replacing the door seals as they are very draughty in winter but I can’t figure out which type of seals they are, have looked at shapes for sale online but can’t work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading this and I hope you can help.
Please excuse the state of the doors etc and the horrible looking ply acting as a drawbridge... this part of the cottage is an ongoing renovation disaster area

Red arrow below shows approx where water running down frame into gap between frame and floor but also think left door has same problem. Red line is where floor joint was full of water. The central bit of frame is attached to the left secondary door so is like a flying mullion.
3FB87B92-6FCF-4F61-8AB8-5EC7FF0F63DA.jpeg

Below is close up of where the 2 doors meet.
234BD809-C185-4E2A-9C24-704B7A29B8F8.jpeg

Red arrow below is where water was dripping from door
Blue arrows is small gap between weather strip and door which I could try sealing but it often pops off e.g. catch it on my heel!
5972CACE-2F15-4BD3-809A-3854F625B9F5.jpeg

CAD3F6C5-7CED-4697-865B-EF383EAEB4EA.jpeg

Outside views:
5622C139-63BD-40AE-A212-060C266E1A10.jpeg

C6A65B7E-E0D1-47CB-8E21-DD3DE69B348D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It'd be worth checking the drain holes in the frame to the outside are not blocked. They are supposed to allow any water that makes it past the seals to run outside rather than inside.

Reds42, no I cleared and tested the drains as explained (there was render in the bottom of the frame from renovation work). They may have been causing a problem in the past but now it’s just the water dripping out of the door itself.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Was wondering if you got your issue resolved? I have the exact same issue and I’m absolutely clueless on what to do. Drainage is cleared … water still leaks from the actual door. Bizarre!

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Try checking if the door seal is tight when it's closed as even with a drain working correctly it may be getting more water in than it can let out of the drain hence the overspill entering inside. If the seal is not tight this clip shows how to adjust the cam so it seals better....

Thanks for that! Appreciate the help. Will try when I’m back from the in-laws for Christmas :) cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back