Urgent - leak on the inside of composite door from window joint

Reaction score
Country
Palau
We had ver heavy showers today and noted for the first time water inside the hall.
I noted the leak came from the left cassette window.
The picture below is not our doors but imagine the water dripping through the inside back of the door where the arrow is marked.

Looking on the net I think the glass is taken out from the inside but after that not sure if its a seal, glue etc.

Another idea is to use a sealant, clear on the outside - what do you think and what would be the best clear or black sealant as our door is black on the outside and white inside.

upload_2022-2-4_11-51-55.jpeg

NB: Where the blue arrow is the door is leaking from the back ie inside bootm of this frame. Door is just outside the warranty by a few months of the ten-year warranty but the company is useless.

What sealant or what should I do and how much approx would a professional charge approx

Sponsored Links
Would probably need to see your door, but if the panes are removable from inside, then if they’re like double glazing, there will be rubber seals on the beading. There could be some gasket/seal that’s perished on the glass panel as well.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Some cassettes are dry glazed while others have a double sided adhesive glazing tape just on the outer cassette but its foam and sucks up water, I wouldn't attempt to take the cassettes apart and they are a one time use affair now and you'll bust the clips off that lock the 2 halves together, whenever I changed units in composite doors they always came with new cassettes, best just to dry the outer and apply a fine clear bead of low mod neutral cure silicone, your also get the same problems with the letterboxes too

Some cassettes are dry glazed while others have a double sided adhesive glazing tape just on the outer cassette but its foam and sucks up water, I wouldn't attempt to take the cassettes apart and they are a one time use affair now and you'll bust the clips off that lock the 2 halves together, whenever I changed units in composite doors they always came with new cassettes, best just to dry the outer and apply a fine clear bead of low mod neutral cure silicone, your also get the same problems with the letterboxes too
Thank you

I've been looking on Screwedfixed, Wickes, Toolsstations, B&Q's etc for the best type of sealant/silicone - considering clear or black - any recommendations, please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back