Composite door window leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I noticed a leak from the lower window in my front door. Rain water was slowly seeping out from the interior frame onto the letter box and pooling onto the floor.

After wiping away all the water, I removed the screw caps/covers on the inside frame, removed the frame and then discovered a fair bit of rain water inside the lower section. It looks like the water is dripping down the glass outside and falling into the bottom of the frame and managing to work its way in.

The outer frame seems to be stuck down and the glass itself is not loose in the frame.

This hasn't happened before and I would imagine the heavy rain and windy weather probably helped to cause it.

IMG-0345a.jpg

IMG-0344a.jpg

IMG-0341a.jpg

IMG-0347a.jpg

IMG-0349a.jpg

IMG-0350a.jpg

These were taken today. Regrettably, I didn't take any yesterday while a lot more water was inside.

Can anyone recommend the best course of action?

I'm tempted to apply some clear sealant where the glass meets the frame and also where the frame meets the door outside. Apologies if I'm using the incorrect terminology.

This is a new build and is just under 3 years old so I'm unlikely to get far with the housebuilder (2 year warranty) or the NHBC (10 year structural).

I did spot a label on the door frame for the manufacturer (IG Doors). Presumably they would have a longer warranty but I'm not sure if this would be covered or if they'd only be able to speak to the housebuilder and not me, since they were their customer and not me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it's not uncommon. As you say just apply a bead of clear low Modulus silicone where the glass meets the outside of the door . You can leave the glass in situ and just run the bead of silicone around the external joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back