help please - wierd noise - pipes/water demand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum, morning all!

Moved house a couple of months ago, and have had no end of problems since then, mostly with our Gloworm 35ci but hopefully we've got to the end of those - new block/valves/pump and so on. Lovely.

Anyway, we have this wied thing going on which I'm at a bit of a loss to understand or even explain. Basically occasionally we get this noise which sounds like someone running a tap on full blast for a few seconds, then it stops (with a bit of a clang). This happens at all times of night and day - when the whole family are tucked up, when the heating isn't on and there's no tap running, and so on. It can be quiet for weeks then suddenly we get a day where it seems to happen every 20 mins or so.

I've checked all taps/wcs etc, there's nothing dripping. I can't quite work out where it's coming from although I'm slowly narrowing it down to certain rooms.
We have a water meter and you can hear that whizzing away when this noise is happening so I presume there's water flying through the system somehow but where is it going and what is causing the demand?!

It was happening when the boiler was dead a few weeks ago - water supply to boiler turned off too - so it can't be anything to do with that, right?

Detached house, so it's not someone next door running a really noisy tap or anything. Gloworm 35ci boiler, and the 'outlets' are 2 wcs/WHBs, 1 kitchen sink, 1 bath 1 shower, 1 washing machine and 1 dishwasher. 1 outdoor tap too. No sign of any leak there either.

please help... I've got about 32p left following the house move and the boiler problems so I'd really rather not call out the plumber again ;) I'd also really like an unbroken night's sleep...

ta in advance!

Sponsored Links
your boiler has some kind of filling system fitted internally (never worked on one of these so I dont know exactly what it is ) make sure its switched off, what is the pressure reading on the front of the boiler?

your boiler has some kind of filling system fitted internally (never worked on one of these so I dont know exactly what it is ) make sure its switched off, what is the pressure reading on the front of the boiler?

heap of carp is what it is lump of plastic $hitee :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I certainly can't smell anything suspicious being grown in/under the house ;)

The boiler fills from a wee blue knurled thingummy underneath. 'heating/water off' pressure approx 1.1bar. I'll try to track down the manual and look into an internal filling thingy. ta.

Odd one to call someone out for. 'yeah, not sure where it's coming from. But have a listen - it might happen whilst you're here. Or it might not happen for another couple of days...just camp out in the attic. ;)

cheers all

[/i]

its probably the ghost of a totured old soul of a previuos owner.........

get an exorcist, or think of him as a new friend

:evil: ;)

images

;)

OK - I think I've tracked this down - thankfully!
So it appears that one of our WCs is overflowing ever-so-slightly into the bowl - you can hardly see it but there's the tiniest movement of water into it. So every now and then I guess this flow means that the water level in the cistern drops enough so that it tries to re-fill itself. But by god it's noisy :)
I've pretty much confirmed this by cutting off the water supply to the WC - no noise since then.

so...what's wrong? I know nothing about this sort of stuff. It's a fairly modern loo with a dual-flush button thingummy. Something need replacing maybe? Possibly just a tweak of float needed etc? Can anyone tell without actually seeing the internal gubbins? :)

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back