Help please with Door Entry system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hoping this is the right place, anybody help me please with wiring up a door entry system in the flats i live in. 14 flats have phones installed to receive calls from visitors. the phones have a buzzer which is operated by the visitor and a button to release the door latch downstairs so visitor can enter the building. at present the system is inoperable, a previous resident dismantled the latch (3 years ago) when his kids had problems gaining entry. the system is wired using telephone cable (twisted pairs) but wired to a choc block :eek: (ugh!) in a downstairs cupboard which is prone to damp etc. power to the system is from a stepped down transformer from mains. needs revamping totally as only some buzzers work but no door release or speach through phones or outside mic/speaker.
any diagrams, hints or expert knowledge would be very much appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
Entry systems are the bain of many flats - with 14 flats do you have a managing agent? Its really going to be down to them to solve by bringing in a professional installer.

It sounds likely you will need a new system - new handsets etc. All you want to hope is that it's does not need new wiring as that will add to the cost / disruption. Most systems use 4 - 8 way wiring ( 4 is the norm for audio only).

This probably isn't going to be a DIY solvable job - if for no other reason than dealing with 14 different flats you are bound to upset someone/ their decor - you have to live with them - professionals don't!

Also the landlord / freeholder has an obligation to ensure the communal wiring is safe / inspected.

thanks brown-nought for your reply, i agree this is a problem. i am a computer network installation man by trade and my next door neighbour/good friend, is the flats manager. we are also the 'landlord' freeholders (x14) the wiring is in good condition from flats to junction but i wanted to install a proper junction terminal rather than the choc block thats there.
it was all working until that departed owner disconnected the door latch and now time has passed i wonder if someone else has had a go, it looks a mess. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back