help please with supply to bath pump

Sponsored Links
Does the ring run through the FCU at the top of the stairs? In which case why not add another FCU for the bath pump next to it and either spur off the existing FCU's supply or extend the existing ring to incorporate it.

Note: If the supply to the FCU at the top of the stairs is allready receiving its supply as a spur (only one L, N, CPC coming into it) then this is not an option.

Saves a lot of 'naffing around' with immersion heater supplies, which having read through the thread, isn't something I'd happily consider.

For my point of view i would use the immersion circuit and use a 13A rcd protected spur to feed the whirlpool spa , this way avoids altering the fixed wiring at the consumer unit and stil provides the RCD protection it needs.

Nick

Sponsored Links
it has 3 red wires / 3 black wires so i ashume this is in ring.

If this is the case then adding another one along side it would be great and save alot of hassle,

the wires are only 1.5mm is this ok still?

and will this be on the sockets circuit ?

Yep, thats part of the ring (possibly radial, but for this purpose its doesn't really make any odds)

On the supply side of the existing FCU there will be a pair of Red, a pair of Black and a pair of Earth wires. On the Load side there will be just one of each, leave this side alone.

All you need to do is run a length (very short one in your case) of 2.5mm T&E cable from the supply terminals (make sure everthing is tightly connected, if this is a struggle then consider replacing it with a new one with larger terminals, you will probably want it to match the new one next to it anyway) to the supply side of your new FCU, the cable for the bath pump can be run from the supply side.

Happy camping!

Edit: Are you sure the incoming wires are 1.5mm? Try and find out which circuit its coming off by turning off MCB's in the consumer unit and seeing which one kills it. Chances are its coming from the upstairs ring, looks unlikely to be a dedicated radial for the bathroom.

Click sure, if you read the OP he said the spur is for the bathroom fan, so is patrt of the lighting circuit no doubt, immersion spur is the way forward in my oppinion.

Nick

yer they are 1.5mm

and its on the lighting circuit, just tested it and fan went off when i switched off the light circuit breaker.

so its looking like nicks sugggestions is the way forward guys ?

Looks like immersion spur, not ideal, but saves a lot of house bashing.

As mentioned before, be sure to RCD protect the feed to the bath pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back