Help putting this back together!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The plumber took my toilet flush apart and didn't put it back together. I am struggling to figure out how to do it. I.put photos below. Unfortunately there is no brand on it.

My questions:
- which way round does the joint go and does it go between the two white circles?
- what are the red and blue slides for?
- how do the two tubes fit together and what is the purpose of the small tab that sticks out on the longer one?

I reassembled it as best I could but when I put it in the toilet runs constantly (the joint is fine and the bottom hole also looks fine). It was already doing this but is much worse. Also, when I flush it doesn't stay open (the tube just drops back down straight away).

We can't afford to get someone to replace the whole thing so I would like to try and put it back together. The plumber didn't want to because he said the running can't be fixed. But I am happy just to turn the water off when we are not using it.

Any help appreciated.

Gill

Attachments

• 20230118_182053.jpg
    20230118_182053.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230118_182043.jpg
    20230118_182043.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230118_182119.jpg
    20230118_182119.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230118_182104.jpg
    20230118_182104.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230118_182137.jpg
    20230118_182137.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230118_181911.jpg
    20230118_181911.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230118_182013.jpg
    20230118_182013.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230118_182038.jpg
    20230118_182038.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230118_182020.jpg
    20230118_182020.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Image ending in 38 looks like the correct set up but the red washer need to be inserted between the top of the base of the cistern and the supply (top stop water dripping out of the bottom of the cistern).

I am not a plumber though. Hopefully one will be able to give you more comprehensive advice.

After much trial and error I have figured it out. The toilet still runs a bit but it is better than before. I think there is an issue with the bottom of the reservoir where the joint goes in.

My only question is which way the seal should go on. With the completely flat side facing down or the side with the raised inner circle? If I put the inner circle downwards, the seal is flush with the plastic ring above, so I imagine this means any slight deformation in the base of the reservoir will create a gap. If I put the seal in with the raised inner circle upwards, it stands slightly proud of the plastic ring above, so is less rigid but has some margin to mould to the base. Does anyone know which is correct?

We can't afford to get someone to replace the whole thing
Replace it yourself, cheap as chips,

Sponsored Links
Replace it yourself, cheap as chips,

I don't think it is the filler.

I think it is the flush valve. I can only imagine that the blue part connects to the toilet handle/button.

Hi all,

The plumber took my toilet flush apart and didn't put it back together. I am struggling to figure out how to do it. I.put photos below. Unfortunately there is no brand on it.

My questions:
- which way round does the joint go and does it go between the two white circles?
- what are the red and blue slides for?
- how do the two tubes fit together and what is the purpose of the small tab that sticks out on the longer one?

I reassembled it as best I could but when I put it in the toilet runs constantly (the joint is fine and the bottom hole also looks fine). It was already doing this but is much worse. Also, when I flush it doesn't stay open (the tube just drops back down straight away).

We can't afford to get someone to replace the whole thing so I would like to try and put it back together. The plumber didn't want to because he said the running can't be fixed. But I am happy just to turn the water off when we are not using it.

Any help appreciated.

Gill

Is this part of a concealed cistern?

If yes, doesn't the flush plate have a name?

I recently had water leaking in to the pan of my loo from the concealed cistern.

The cistern is made by Oli. Fortunately, the back of the flush plate has two washers, one of them being the lower washer. I youtube'd some videos, admitted same brand but slightly different cisterns.

It was the washer at the bottom of the mechanism that was allowing the dribble of water.

If you are unable to find the brand name, I am only guessing, but you may be able to purchase a sheet of silicone on ebay and cut your own washer (using the original as a template).

The last time that I purchased a 20cm by 20cm 2mm sheet on ebay, the cost was about £3 or 4.

In your case you need to ensure that you get the correct thickness, otherwise the base will not click in.

The above is based on the assumption that it is a concealed cistern.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Indeed it is a sealed cistern (who invented these?!?). I managed to fix it. The issue was not the seal but the bottom of the reservoir that the seal fits onto. There is a slightly raised ring around the outlet and there was limescale around the inside. I managed to fit my hand and arm into the cistern and scrape it off (all attempts with vinegar etc had failed). So now there is no leaking, or at least not that I can see. There was a small bit of limescale that I couldn't get off and I didn't want to damage the plastic so I left it.

The flush still doesn't stay open - we have to hold the button in for the length of time it takes to emptying the toilet. But that is good enough for me.

I never found the brand but I can tell you it is the stupidest design. The staying open of the flush relies on two minuscule projections on the tube catching two flimsy bits of plastic attached to two floats. So if the tube is rotated even half a millimetre off centre it doesn't catch and doesn't work.

Final question, is there anything I can add to the cistern water regularly to stop the limescale building up?

Thank you.

Indeed it is a sealed cistern (who invented these?!?). I managed to fix it. The issue was not the seal but the bottom of the reservoir that the seal fits onto. There is a slightly raised ring around the outlet and there was limescale around the inside. I managed to fit my hand and arm into the cistern and scrape it off (all attempts with vinegar etc had failed). So now there is no leaking, or at least not that I can see. There was a small bit of limescale that I couldn't get off and I didn't want to damage the plastic so I left it.

The flush still doesn't stay open - we have to hold the button in for the length of time it takes to emptying the toilet. But that is good enough for me.

I never found the brand but I can tell you it is the stupidest design. The staying open of the flush relies on two minuscule projections on the tube catching two flimsy bits of plastic attached to two floats. So if the tube is rotated even half a millimetre off centre it doesn't catch and doesn't work.

Final question, is there anything I can add to the cistern water regularly to stop the limescale building up?

I don't know if smearing some silicone grease on the moving parts will help.

My preferred descaler is HG Blue

But that is for neat use.

Glad you managed to sort it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back