help with a new honeywell V4073A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had a new V4073A 3port valve fixed, CH and HW work fine, also when both are on together, they also work fine, the problem is when all is switched off at the programer, the valve is still energised, and the grey wire to the valve is still alive, if I remove the grey wire from the joint box, the valve runs back, then if i put the cable back in, it does not energise again untill the next time the heating switches on again, but then is stays live again, till i remove and replace the grey wire from the valve,any help would be great.
thanks billjohn

Sponsored Links
thats right the grey should be live and hold valve in last position.

the grey gets its live from hw off at programmer or hw on cylinder stat satisfied.

ie holding valve in say heating position if grey removed it will fall to hw position putting grey wire back in will hold in hw position until the heating is next used then it will do the same again hold in last position.

so it is working correctly.

Thanks for your reply, it was just that the valve was hot all night even though it was not in use, is this safe, that was my main worry in case it burned out ? :unsure: so thanks again for your kind reply.
billjohn

Afraid that's how it is!
Unless you turn CH off (which only cuts off supply through micro switch) and leave HW on and create a demand, then turn HW off last.
The valve would then be in the HW position (motor not energised).

Power on the white wire (a) drives motor to mid position only
(b) also provides power to light boiler in CH mode (with no HW involvement)

The grey wire (if live) drives motor over the second half and keeps it up against a stop. Note it can't do this unless the white has already moved it to mid position.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mandate,
for the reply, just kind of worked out myself that if we set the hot water to come on last, that it works fine, but very nice to have confermation from you, it's very good to know that there are helpfull people around, I had spent half an hour on the phone to Honeywell, and never got to the top of the queue, don't think they want to speak to Joe public, so once again thank you very much, for your reply, and also to the other person from yesterday.
Regards billjohn.

Some newer programmers incorporate an 'energy saving' switch off to stop this happening

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back