Help re Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Ok, fitting our kitchen and building in a custom cooker hood. Our range cooker is 110cm wide so the gap between the wall cupboards for a hood is, obviously, 110cm too.

Clearly, we cannot fit a 110cm wide extractor unit as there would be no ‘meat’ either side to frame the unit. So, we need a smaller width extractor unit to fit within our custom 110cm wide housing.

So, on a 110cm range, would a 90cm wide extractor unit be too small? The 90cm one I’m looking at has an extraction rate 14times the volume of the kitchen which I believe is fine but I’m wondering if that means it will also suck up the steam etc from pots/pans on the very edges of the hob?

I could maybe go wider to a 100cm unit but a) I can’t find one and b) it is limiting the options we have for design as there’s so little space to work with either side (just 50mm)

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Sponsored Links
The 90cm will be fine, the height above the hob is the important dimension.

Thanks for your reply. If I’m using a 90cm unit, is there a preferred height above the job as that’s more flexible. I was going to work to 75cm - is that ok?

What is the recommended height in the installation guide. You need to ensure there is no danger of banging your head when reaching over the hob. The actual air extraction should not be a problem. Not sure if there is a building regulation or BS covering the height above the hob.

Sponsored Links
Hiya, it’s extracting (vents through wall).

The 75cm is the recommended height above hob.

I think the installation height and extraction type is all good. I was wanting to seek advice as to whether the 90cm unit would still extract from the hob effectively. I think from jj4091’s comment it shouldn’t be a problem??

Ideally the extractor should be wider than than the hob.

htttps://www.compair-flow.com/the-best-tips-for-planning-a-cooker-hood- system-/#:~:text=Take%20the%20width%20of%20a,should%20be%20120%20cm%20wide.

But you can mitigate the risk of errant steam by using the parts of the hob closest to the middle.

On most extractors I've worked on a vortex forms at either side of the hood so although steam appears to go up the outside it is sucked back into the hood. So although a wider than the hob would indeed be better I very much doubt 20 cm less will make any difference especially in this scenario where he has cupboards either side of it. I think it could also be improved by raising it higher if possible.

Put a 750 unit above a 900 oven, worked fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1888_Original.jpeg
    IMG_1888_Original.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 42
Hi, do you know how high above the job you installed it? Looks higher than the regular recommended 750mm.

Actually, that's not a recommended height. It's a minimum height.

IMO it is folly to put a hood low enough that you can smash your face in it while stirring your porage.

Actually, that's not a recommended height. It's a minimum height.

IMO it is folly to put a hood low enough that you can smash your face in it while stirring your porage.
Actually, having just measured 75cm it’s not a great height!!

Does mounting at a greater height improve its extraction ability?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back