how far the socket from the gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are renovating our kitchen and replacing the old (60cm) cooker with either 90cm or 100cm. However, if we install 90cm the horizontal distance between the sockets (on both side of the cooker) and the cooker is 15cm but is we install 100cm the distance will be 10cm.
ideally we would like to buy the 100cm cooker. Thus, is it safe to leave 10cm distance between the cooker and the socket. the cooker Hight is 90cm and the socket Hight is 110cm. any advise would highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
... there is no electrical rule...
Sadly you are correct but I think there really ought to be.

FWIW I know of one case where the flame melted the plastic kettle which then dumped its contents on the cooker, extinguishing the flame. Fortunately there was no further trouble other than ventilating the escaped gas and clearing the water out of the cooker.

The socket and 2 plugs behind the kettle was also suffering from repeated burning.

Then again kettle leads are often long enough to put the kettle near the cooker even if the socket is further away.

Sponsored Links
Sadly you are correct but I think there really ought to be. ... FWIW I know of one case where the flame melted the plastic kettle which then dumped its contents on the cooker, extinguishing the flame. Fortunately there was no further trouble other than ventilating the escaped gas and clearing the water out of the cooker.
Hmmm. As winston has implied, it's not really a matter of where sockets are located but, rather, how close 'things' are placed to a gas hob - and, in the case of corded electrical 'things', what stupidity is possible is also determined by the length of the lead.

However, it's not just a question of (being stupid with) electrical items. The incident you describe would presumably have been exactly the same if a plastic jug full of water had been put in the same place (in proximity to the flames) as the kettle had been.

Kind Regards, John

Hmmm. As winston has implied, it's not really a matter of where sockets are located but, rather, how close 'things' are placed to a gas hob - and, in the case of corded electrical 'things', what stupidity is possible is also determined by the length of the lead.

However, it's not just a question of (being stupid with) electrical items. The incident you describe would presumably have been exactly the same if a plastic jug full of water had been put in the same place (in proximity to the flames) as the kettle had been.

Kind Regards, John
Agreed.

I build kitchens and electricians all tell me that sockets need to be at least 300mm from fire (hob) and sink (including drainer)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back