Range Cooker Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace a 20 year old Rangemaster 110cm Range Cooker.
The present cooker was fitted by a registered company as a contractor to a major building company so I never questioned the legality of the installation. It is tightly fitted into a gap in the kitchen units, it will slide out and as such a replacement 110cm unit will simply slide back in.
I want to replace the present Rangecooker with an identical 110cm wide cooker, but when reading some documentation, it suggests that my present installation may in fact be illegal in that it is a perfect fit into the 110cm gap without any space between the cooker side and the kitchen unit sides. That may have been legal 20 years ago but it has been suggested to me that there is a legal requirement for there to be a 50mm space/gap between the cooker and the kitchen units in present or replacement installations.
Is this correct as a legal requirement to satisfy present safety standards? In which case I am legally required to only fit a 100cm range cooker into the 110 cm space available.

Sponsored Links
There is no " legal " implications around regulations just any fall out that failure to follow them might incur. In other words if you instal something & your failure to comply with regulations causes injury or worse to someone else then you would be responsible. There may be an alternative to any need for a gap, such as heat proof sheet either side. Ask your registered installer or the supplier who should be qualified to advise you accordingly.

Just follow the manufacturer's instructions. Rangemaster say there should be a minimum 5mm gap at the sides but this is only a recommendation.

Sponsored Links
I think its 20mm either side but Mfr's fitting instructions are what you need, they trump any regulation.
Find your model name and number installation handbook on google an work from that.

Thanks Ted, I did exact;y what you suggested and the two cookers I am considering both state that close fitting is OK.
So that sorts it I think.
Thanks to everyone for your Help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back