Help re Pipe in downstairs WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I wounder if anybody could help me. I have a soil vent pipe (or this is what i've been told) in my downstairs wc, after inspecting it myself it's basically a drainage pipe coming out of the ground with a vent on the top. The problem is that it gives off a smell (a bit like stagnant water or sewage), I wondered if this pipe could be capped off or if a different fixing was available to stop the smell??

Thanks for your help. :)

Sponsored Links
whats on top now ?
have you not got a pic ?
is this the only toilet in the house or do you have another soil stack ?

Thanks for the quick reply, I've been away with work so I've only just got access to the internet.

There's a vent ontop now, there's three toilets in total at home and I've enclosed some pics (of the downstairs WC pipe). Hope that helps, once again thanks for your help.

[/img]

That AAV looks a bit low and could be stuck in the open position. :(

Do you have a soil stack open to atmosphere outside that is serving your other toilets :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'v enclosed some pics of the soil stack outside that serves the other toilets at home. The main question I have is can I get a cap / vent etc for this pipe in the downstairs toilet to top the smell coming out of the top and making the downstairs toilet smell musty? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ps the plastic bag was a temporary measure, which has actually stopped the smell, not sure if it was a good idea or not.

[/img]

does the toilet still flush ok with the bag sealing the top and has the smell stopped ?

Yeah the toilet still flushes fine and the smell has now stopped with the bag ontop. What effect could the bag have ontop, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the purpose of the soil pipe and why would they put it in the toilet with a vent on so it smells?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back