Help ! Removing damp proof wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, 1st time poster...
Doing some renovations we have found old damp proof paper around the window walls. I am not sure if it was called "pitch paper" but has the black side facing away from wall and was wallpapered over. No ammount of steaming seems to shift it ! Any advice on how to remove it would be much appreciated, or if its best to leave as is and just paper over it.
Thanks for all the interesting topics and advice on this forum.

Sponsored Links
You need to score the surface of the paper to allow the steam/water to penetrate but don’t damage the plaster underneath. Be very careful using a steamer, if you hold it in one place too long it will overheat the plaster skim & “blow” it off the basecoat; then you will have an even more serious problem to deal with!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I think i will take your advice and leave where it is & just put lining paper & wallpaper over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back