Help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built a verandah,

but now i have some water leaking into the kitchen through the wall, the beam i used the wood did not sit flush against the wall so the bolts were exposed but beam secure, i've used self adhesive flashing and expanding foam under the beam, which does not appear to have worked, can anyone advise what i could do to resolve this ?

is there anything i can use to seal the holes as this has only happened since i did the verandah

thanks.

Sponsored Links
A photo might help.
You say you have fixed flashing under the beam surely you need something above to stop water entering like a lead flashing?

sorry let me explain again

the wood beam i used was not straight as was most of them i saw at b and q etc, so 2 bolts are in half way but half are exposed as is the hole i believe this is where water is entering the kitchen as the leak is adjacent to these 2 bolts and the leak only occurs when the rain is heavy.

i've used flashing tape above the corrugated roof but no flashing on the beam itself.

i was thinking to use rubber bolt washers with some guttering seal around them to try and stop water entering.

Sorry still not following you can you post some pictures.
I must have a touch of the Father Dougal's!;)

Sponsored Links
I'm at work at the minute so cant provide a pic, but i've done a little illustration on paint hope this explains it a little.

thanks.

Ok updated, i've removed the sheets away from the beam and soaked it with a hosepipe but no water comes through the wall, i just wonder if water was getting trapped behind the beam and then soaking into the wall as it had no where to go ?

Would the bolts not pull the wood straight if you tightened them more?

Sounds like you need to cut into the mortar above the wood and point in a Lead or Ubiflex flashing.

Is it possible you have bridged the cavity in some way allowing water in the cavity to seep across?

not sure but if i have whats the solution ? but what i dont get is why i cant recreate the same issue with a hose pipe.

another important detail i should have mentioned i did not use primer with the tape just stuck the tape on i presume this would have allowed the water to soak in and penetrate behind ?

You need to enable 3rd party hosting to view pic, or you can use the media option on this site.

here.

Attachments

• 20170809_201733_zpsouvlt69d.jpg
    20170809_201733_zpsouvlt69d.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20170809_201727_zpsgt5vhdyd.jpg
    20170809_201727_zpsgt5vhdyd.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20170809_201727_zpsgt5vhdyd.jpg
    20170809_201727_zpsgt5vhdyd.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170809_201733_zpsouvlt69d.jpg
    20170809_201733_zpsouvlt69d.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 122

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back