Made mistake on canopy, how best to fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built a canopy the other day it went well. So I decided to build another one on another part of the house.

I’ve messed something up as it was different to the first so sealing advice.

See attached pics. The ledger on the first canopy extends off the house onto a post but over shoots the post so I can put the end beam on it using a face fix joist hanger.

The second canopy I forgot about needing that overshoot. It goes flush to the post. So I don’t have the overshoot to put the joist hanger on. Where the joist hanger would now go would be on the post but there’s bolts there. I didn’t want to put a beam on the inside of the post but I could I guess just doesn’t look right.

Any advice how to hang the beam on? The bolts are part in the way. If I do do it then the beam would be shorter and a bit lower down than the rest hanging on the ledger itself.

I could put the beam on the outside of the post, are there any hangers for that? Or nail straight through the beam I suppose. Worried it won’t be as strong as on a hanger, I guess loads of nails would be ok?

Or should I buy a new 4.8m ledger, replicate the holes where I’ve screwed it into my house wall but about 100cm over in order to get the overhang.

First photo is the first canopy the second photo is the mistake, no overhang for beam.

Thanks

Attachments

• 98C983D5-B572-4617-8BD4-D9CB1F34B2C9.jpeg
    98C983D5-B572-4617-8BD4-D9CB1F34B2C9.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 2B2972FA-12D4-4858-9CC7-340DE71026E4.jpeg
    2B2972FA-12D4-4858-9CC7-340DE71026E4.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For the sake of closure... I didn’t use joist hangers and put the beams directly on top of the ledger then planed the top of the post down a bit so the end beam sat nicely to the ledger. So all ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back