help !!! roof ridge tiles slipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went up on the roof to start replacing the guttering and noticed that the bottom corner ridge tile was missing the mortar from its bottom edge and the pointing between the tile and the roof was loose. so i bought some mortar and went up to rebed it i removed the tile to clean out the old mortar and all of the other tiles slid down about half an inch i grabbed them to stop them slipping further and put the corner ridge tile back in and up against the corner iron bracket thing.

what should i do just try and refix the corner ridge tile or do they all need doing now

Sponsored Links
By the sound of it the while hip needs re-bedding if the whole lot slipped, shows the hip iron is doing its job though. May be an idea to mech fix as well using a union clip and long screw between each hip tile just to make it more secure in future

hi thanks for the response i was dreading that that may be the case i wouldnt mind pointing or bedding one or two but the whole lot is a job too big for me i think, might look into claiming on the house insurance as this problem was caused by the guttering being rolled over by the snow and the edge of the guttering has lifted the hip ridge i will speak to insurance and hopefully get them to repair both tiles and guttering.

ive never made a claim before does anyone know the likelyhood of success for making this type of claim

any tips or advice for making such a claim

thanks

The hip was obviously faulty anyway, if it was sound then the gutter or snow would have not moved it. I would get it fixed before a storm takes it off and kills someone.
I believe, that now you are aware it's unsafe, then you will be in deep poo if it damages someone or thing.

Sponsored Links
thanks for responses, its a bungalow roof so even if it does come down which i doubt its jammed in pretty tight its not going to land on anyone or anything except the ground as property has a chunky bit of garden all around, the heavy snow had settled on the roof and collected in the guttering and over the next few weeks had turned into a sort of glacier like solid lump the guttering broke a few clips and actually rolled upside down meaning the edge of the guttering closest to the fascia lifted up and caught the hip/ridge tile and raised it about half an inch up off the roof we had more snow wind rain and frost since then which may have made it worse i dont think it was faulty maybe ready to be redone though

i thought about a dry ridge fixing kit but would be happy if i can find a fixing clip as mentioned in the first reply but cant seem to nfind them does anyone know what their called / where i can get them

thanks for all responses ive been up today and rebed 3 of them, it wasnt all of them slipping as first thought i didnt have a proper look yesterday as when i saw them slipping i sharted myself and just put the end one back in untill i had a good think, i fixed the first one in this morning with a bucket of just add water mortar mix from screwfix and it seemed to take really well to the slate roofing, i then went to wicksies and bought a bag of blue circle and sharp sand and mixed it 3-1 and set the other two in. The problem is its now a different colour to the edge hip which i fixed in this morning ones light two and three are dark.

it all needs repointing this year so could i just scrape out the new stuff i did today and repoint the whole lot a little later this year so it matches or should i just leave it be now?

Firstly re-pointing is not recommended as the mortar will fall back out in a year or two.
The correct way is to take off, clean down and re-bed with 3-1 building sand /cement mix.
The mix bag of sand and cement you got from Screw fix will be a mix for brickwork which is a weaker mix than that which is needed for roofing.
The 3-1 mix you did afterwards is the right mix but with the wrong sand and this would have been very hard to point up and will set too hard for the job.
I would recommend you get it all off while still green and wait for a day (damp overcast being the most ideal) to do the whole lot in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back