Dry Ridges, Profiled Tiles and Dentil Slips - how to combine?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making good progress with my roof and need to think about doing the ridge.

The tiles are Marley Wessex, so have a profile to them, and on the old ridge dentil slips (or cut tiles) were mortared into place as per the first picture. I'm sticking with the wessex for the new roof.

In another thread I was discussing the ridge and I decided upon a new mortar ridge with a ridge fixing kit. However, I've then also order the Manthorpe dry ridge kit as recommended by @catlad as this has stainless steel fixings - and I thought might be a darn sight quicker to fix than than a new mortar ridge.

However, it's then occurred to me that with a dry ridge and the profile of the tiles that I'd end up with big gaps between the ridge tile and the roof tiles where the dentil would have been - looks like on some of the diagrams/images that it's exactly is done. Is that right?

It just seems that leaving such a gap is an invite to vermin, insects, etc to get in there or even for the wind to get under them and lift the tiles up.

Am I missing something? Or should I just revert back to the slips and mortar and stop trying to cut corners!?

Thanks,
Andy :)

Old roof and dentil slips:

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 17.45.13.png

Sponsored Links
With the manthorpe kit you get an underlay strip with an adhesive and flexible edge. Before you fit the ridges you run this across the ridge, stretching it down into the valleys and it has a very adhesive edge - it's a bit like a very thin lead flashing either side connected across the ridge with a membrane. The ridge tiles then go over this and fix down onto the plastic separators.

With the manthorpe kit you get an underlay strip with an adhesive and flexible edge. Before you fit the ridges you run this across the ridge, stretching it down into the valleys and it has a very adhesive edge - it's a bit like a very thin lead flashing either side connected across the ridge with a membrane. The ridge tiles then go over this and fix down onto the plastic separators.
Thanks, that’s good to know about the adhesive. Sounds like there will be a gap above the top of the flashing and the bottom of the ridge tiles where the tiles are dipped.

Sponsored Links
Also depends wether or not you want a vented ridge.

Thanks Catlad. I've got a breathable membrane and I've also got 4 of these vents to go in the roof too:

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 05.24.06.png

Therefore I think I should be good for ventilation, although I guess having extra ventilation in the ridge wouldn't hurt I guess. The dry ridge was more for the speed of fitting.

My concern is just leaving these bits open, which are quite large on the Wessex, and what might decide to make home inside.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 05.58.52.png

Well if you are worried about things getting in then you need to go with a wet ridge. The tile you are using are probably the worst with a dry ridge visually.
Yeah, I’m leaning toward that way myself. Unfortunately the tiles are determined by the roof pitch.

Now I see Manthorpe sell the stainless steel fixings outside of the dry ridge set, so I might as well buy myself a third lot of stuff and go wet ridge with stainless steel fixings :)

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back