Help! Sentinel x400 - Radiators gone cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone could offer their help advice.

Our radiators downstairs went cold - we got British gas out and they said there was a blockage in the system (they said pump/boiler/hotwater was fine, so must be a blockage). Anyway, they gave us a quote that was over our budget so we decided to do it ourselves.

Took off the downstairs radiators, flushed out radiators with water until run clear (seemed to clear out loads of sludge from all), cleared pipes before putting radiators back.

Then drained the system down.

Then cleared out sludge (as much as we could by hand first) in the loft and then poured 2ltrs of the x400 into the water tank.

Then filled the system back up.

Then bleed the system.

Then all radiators seemed to be working all downstairs ones came on and worked for a day. Great we thought!

Unfortunately we forgot the heating was on timer so system switched itself off. System did come back on but now only one radiator upstairs is working?!

Not sure whether we should drain the system down or just let it run?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm going for an air-loc.

Open up a bleed valve on the cylinder pipe work and bleed, turn heating on and put speed pump on setting 3 then after a couple of mins turn down to 2 then back up to 3, this normally helps to push the air around. Then turn the heating off and bleed all rads and pipe work.

Andy

:D

Thanks guys for your replies.

Just as an update (and in case anyone else comes across the same issue) this is what happened next.

Mornings are hectic in our house anyway with two kids, but within an hour of us posting the question the rads upstairs began to get warm - so we then decided not to touch anything until after the school run and see what happened.

When we got back all rads with the exception of the one in the kitchen had come on - ally bough the ones downstairs where not as hot as the ones upstairs - at least they were on.

Held our ground and still left well alone - returned home just now and all rads are on INCLUDING the one in the kitchen. I have to add that the one in the kitchen isn't as hot as the ones in the rest of the house but its on at least.

We are gonna leave system running for the next few days and see what happens.

Hopefully all will be good.

Thanks again for your replies

:D

Sponsored Links
Seems like it could do with a good drain down in a few weeks again and balance rads with inhibitor added.

Yes, that's what I would do next.
When refilling, have all the bleed points open and fill slowly.
Gets you running around but may help with your slow to heat rads.
I would again remove / hose flush rads before refilling, then with any luck, will not need doing for some years.
Pete

No. If you know the layout then you fill slow and check. When I say open, it really is just one turn. Once the water appears at the lowest bleed point - shut it and check next. Come on this is not a real problem, you have to move around a bit quicker then otherwise. Can all ways place a neck tie of kitchen paper around each bleed. This is only a suggestion , and I'm not out to trip people up.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back