help small tank in me loft is overflowing !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, have a problem with water overflowing from the smaller of my tank in the loft.. Took me a while to work out that this was coming from the loft after ripping up my floorboards. However this happened on Saturday night. I figured that the overflow pipe was frozen so the excess water couldn't escape. My solution was to tie the ballcock to the rafter with piece of string ( after draining half the tank with a hose pipe ) I've had a couple of baths and several showers since. I've still got hot water.
Is this correct ? is the water that i've been using what's left in the big heater tank in my airing cupboard ? Is this going to explode ? Break ?
I'm going to rush home and take another look with some proper lighting.
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated..
I just have a normal shower. ( No power shower )

Thanks guys. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Smaller tank of the 2 is likely the feed and expansion for the central heating. Doubt anything is going to break straight away, but if the ballcock's faulty, replace it, otherwise Bahco has given you a link to other possible issues.

The smaller tank is the central heating header tank - correctly called the flow and expansion tank. It should only have about 4" water in it, and this shouldn't vary. It has no connection with the other large tank, which is used to replenish your copper hot water cylinder as you draw water off for washing.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Lets get this right...you've tied up the ball cock so fresh water cant flow in, but the tank is still filling up to overflowing? Is water coming in via the expansion pipe, that curves over the top of the tank?
That would indicate a problem with your copper cylinder, in particular the heating coil within.

No John,

Please let me explain...... The ballcock is tied to stop any water from flowing.... although previously the water was overflowing with about 14" of water in the tank not the 4" mentioned previously. Sorry for the confusion old bean.... :oops:

I'm off home now i'll let you know when i have another look. Hope my house hasn't turned into a swimming pool... :p

Good oh - thats saved you a bit!!
Time for a new washer for the ball cock, or maybe a new valve entirely (they don't get much use at all).
Once done, bale out the excess water in the tank until you're back down to about 4".
You can siphon it out, but don't get a gob full!

The smaller tank is the central heating header tank - correctly called the flow and expansion tank. It should only have about 4" water in it, and this shouldn't vary. It has no connection with the other large tank, which is used to replenish your copper hot water cylinder as you draw water off for washing.
really correctly called a Feed and Expansion Cistern ;)

Cheers lads..... No swimming pool... untied the ballcock and the tank filled up about 7" I think i need new washer or valve. It must be sticking and kept on filling up. Didn't help with the cold blocking my overflow. I'll have a proper look tomorrow methinks.
Thanks again lads put my mind at rest. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back