Help - Smelly toilet - despite obsessive cleaning!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help! For the last week or so a horrid smell has been lurking in the bathroom. I think it smells like stale urine, my partner says it's more like silage. After blaming him and my daughter for poor aim, scrubbing everywhere with bleach and generally being obsessive about hygiene I'm beginning to think the smell is actually coming from the toilet itself. The pan doesn't move, the cistern is working and there are no blockages (or at least not as far as my hand reaches). The stack pipe seems to have a cage over the top so wouldn't be full of bird's nest? The only things I can see that might be different is a) that the water level in the pan looks a little low - although I wouldn't swear to it it's not something I generally take much notice of, and b) the next door neighbours overflow is running (they've promised to fix it) on to my rook and down the drain Any ideas would be gratefully received, it's driving me mad!

Sponsored Links
As long as the water in the bowl is higher than the top of the outlet in the bowl the water seal should prevent smells from that direction.

Other possibilities:

Check that the U bend in the bath is full of water. In houses where people shower rather than bath the water seal can be lost over time.

Have you carpet in bathroom.? Hubby's bad aim. Wee boys are big trouble in this respect anyway.

By the way a rook that has not the sense to move out of the way of an overflowing pipe is not worth having as a pet. :D

Check that the U bend in the bath is full of water. In houses where people shower rather than bath the water seal can be lost over time

what, even if the shower is over the bath ! ;)

have u a leak at the back of the toilet where it joins the pan connector and soil pipe etc ?
or a hole in it ? ....i saw a flexible pan connector with a split in it on the top...it did not leak but could chuck out so smells

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back