Help!! taping bubbled in places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, got my tapes on and have now started to apply 2nd coat but in places the tape has bubbled up. They all looked secure before I started applying the 2nd coat so I'm hoping they'll dry back like wallpaper!

What is the remedial work if they don't dry back?

Cut out the bubble then re-fill?

Richard

Sponsored Links
I assume they are paper tapes, I know tend to stay clear of the paper tape these days and use the nylon mesh self adhesive ones, less aggro!
Any hows, if you have got dry spots behind them, it will not go away in time, as you have quite rightly suggested, you need to slice them and paste some compound in to dry spot and flatten tape.

Phew!!

Fortunately most have dried back but I have 2 short tapes which are very bubbled. Can I wet them and try and remove and start again?

Richard

Slice the bubbles with older style razor blade, fill with your joint compound/easifill and one more time when it's dry. Remove and start again usually ends up messy.

Sponsored Links
With paper tape you have to bed it in with the compound under the tape otherwise as you have noticed you get bubble

It's in essence the same as a bit of blown skimming

Just be careful to make sure you get enough compound under the tape so the when you apply pressure on top with trowel it covers the whole area

did you wet the tape first???
just a little trick i learnt of a life long taper

No I didn't wet the tape first. I did ask on this forum before I started but was told no. Must admit I thought it would be like the traditional wallpaper that you used to paste first and get it to swell and then it dries back tight and flat.

In hindsight I think wetting the tape would have helped as being a 'first timer to t&j' it took me quite a time to get the compound on by which time it had become a bit stiff and difficult to squeeze out and get the tapes flat

Was doing some more 2nd coats today and got another tape to bubble up which hadn't previously bubbled.

I did remove one of the badly bubbled tapes and there appeared to be a full bed of compound behind.

Richard

was it a butt joint or tapered joint?
what jointing gear did you use for bedding in 1st coat 2nd coat 3rd coat
how wet was the first coat?
what paper was it?

Little trick i know. I use jointing compound for first coat (bedding in)
then blue hawk jointing compound for 2nd/3rd coat...
wetting the paper will help stop the paper shrinking and the board work sucking in...
mite be worth using scrim tape? all you need you do is stick on the tape then first coat (flush joints) then quick 2nd/3rd pass with easy fill 45......

what/how are you sanding the joints????

Bubbled mainly on butt joints.

I'm using Gyproc Easi-fill jointing compound for all coats.

Added about 250ml of water when I opened the ready mixed tub initially and then added a further 250ml a couple of days later. The mix was quite wet and would fall of the knife easily, but I think it was the time I spent messing with it trying to get it even before applying the tape.

Tape was from Jewsons and is the folded type, not sure who made it.

For sanding I'm using a flat hander sander with 120 grit paper plus abrasive foam blocks. Seems to work fine.

2nd and 3rd coats are now on so I just need to sort out the one badly bubbled tape.

What I have found difficult is getting enough compound over the tapes on corner and ceiling joints. Every time I run a knife down for final smoothing it takes the compound off back to the tape. Eventually had to use a larger knife apply and wipe the compound out from the joint rather than down with it. Then let it set a little and then run down the joint as a final pass.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back