help - think I've messed up the boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I replaced a rad on a combi system. Closed valves, put on new rad and topped up (that was the plan).

The boiler is a Halstead Finest Gold: http://www.halsteadboilers.co.uk/html/brochure.asp?cat=-1&prod=83

To refill, as per the directions, I closed the valves as per the manual for commissioning the system and filled from the filling loop. Could hear the water going in but no increase on the pressure gauge.

Then realised that the 'central heating flow' valve and 'cold water in' valve were not in the closed position (down) nor in the open position (right) but 'up'. Double checked and set into the right position.

There were various noises at the time but I cant recall if this was before putting the valves in the correct closed position - closing it, or immediately after. But the noises were not the normal water flow - more a 'farting' noise.

Anyway - then filled and bled the system but noticed the pressure was drop - thought this was part of the process. But once I closed the valves back into the positions for normal operation, the pressure dropped with the occasional farting noises. The max the pressure gauge showed was 1.5 bar - went down to about 0.4.

Closed the valves again and refilled, but the pressure dropped again. Went outside and there was a slight trickling noise from the pressure release valve pipe but it leads under the decking so couldn't see for sure if this was the case.

I wonder if I blew the pressure release valve by blowing mains water into the boiler body rather than the pipes? Manual says it releases at 3 bar. I tapped the valve with the handle of a screwdriver when refilling and the intermittent farting noises stopped.

Fired the boiler after refilling again to 1.2 bar. C.H. warmed up and pressure loss was slower though still lost it down to 0.8 in 15 minutes. Outside, couldn't hear the water but the pipe was very hot. Turned off the heating and it continues to loose pressure but at a seeming slower rate than before.

So folks, any thoughts on what I've messed up? I'm guessing I blew the pressure release valve but I'm not sure.

Any recommendations on what I could try before calling the plummer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the pipe was hot on the pressure release you must be losing water from there (time to change)

As for asking a plummer I would in my opinion get a plumber in to have a look

Or you could drop down the front panel and try rotating the red pressure relief valve a few times - if your lucky (and the systems clean) it may reseal itself. Otherwise removal and cleaning (or replacement).

Its the red cone shape lower right.

Sponsored Links
Finest Golds get a slagging off on this forum. I installed this one about 6 years ago in a tenanted property. It gets the annual check and a dozen pumps on the exp.vessel. Its had one DHW diaphragm and a board re-solder - otherwise never missed a beat - not even any leaks. I find they are one of the better boilers of their time.

I did fit a few years ago had no comebacks so they must be good.
Either that or the customer didn't like me :confused:

Gasguru said:
Finest Golds get a slagging off on this forum. I installed this one about 6 years ago in a tenanted property. It gets the annual check and a dozen pumps on the exp.vessel. Its had one DHW diaphragm and a board re-solder - otherwise never missed a beat - not even any leaks. I find they are one of the better boilers of their time.

Just shows how rubbish the rest are if it one of the better boilers.

I mean come on, none of the above should be needed on a six year old boiler.

Mine is 26 plus and the only problem is the thermo-couple, same everything including the pump. now that is a good boiler.

Thanks for the tips. I tried venting it manually and tapping it a few times and the rate of loss decreased substantially. This morning - though it lost most of the pressure overnight - I repressurised it and fired the boiler for 20 minutes and there was no apparent loss of pressure when hot. Though it's hard to say with the way the gauge fluctuates as the boiler fires and the pipes' temperature changes. Good news is the emergency vent pipe outside stayed cold. I'll check the pressure when I get back tonight and the systems been cold for a good while.

Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back