HELP: Tried to touch up varnish on my wooden floor - argh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? We have old oak wooden floors in the lounge and hallway. They were sanded and re-varnished about 2 years ago with a polyurethane varnish. I have some of the varnish, as I had to do a bit of the floor myself a year ago, when we removed a fitted bedroom carpet and found some of the hall floor underneath.

Anyway, yesterday my husband accidently put a massive scratch in the floor and it lifted a huge bit of varnish. As I had the varnish I decided to touch it up. The problem is, the bit that I've varnished is now hideously visible, and has a dull sheen on it. The rest of the floor is not high shine, but reflects light nicely. The bit I touched doesn't, so it looks awful. And it's in a really obvious place!

Is there anything I can do to recify this? I rung the floor people, and they feel it might flake off, but that in any case, I should wait one week to see what happens, then try the renovator product that is supposed to bring the shine back. I'm sceptical that this will work. She said the only other thing to do would be to redo the floor in this whole room, as they can't just sand one area! Help! Any advice?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back