Help! Water dripping through tundish of unvented cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please forgive the stupid question, I'm a new homeowner so very noob. I've just discovered that water has been dripping through the tundish of our unvented hot water cylinder. A bit concerned that it may explode in the middle of the night. How can I "turn it off" safely while we wait for a plumber? So far all I have done is turning off the immersion heater (which is controlled by an economy 7 switch), but the water still continues dripping.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
If the immersion is turned off then just turn the cold feed to the cylinder off and it will be fine until your plumber gets there

Many thanks for the quick replies guys.

@flameport It's called ThermaQ Evocyl 120 Slimline Direct Unvented Storage Cylinder.

@Razor900 Will there be a problem if I don't turn the cold feed off? I don't know where it is and without manufacturer instruction it's scary to touch the thing.

A few photos:

Attachments

• 20220815_225817.jpg
    20220815_225817.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220815_225806.jpg
    20220815_225806.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20220815_225748.jpg
    20220815_225748.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Assuming the pipe is terminated properly it won't cause any problems it will just drip.

If you do want ti turn the feed off it's this valve. It will only turn one way 1/4 turn until the handle is horizontal

Screenshot_20220815-232639_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do that (leave it alone)! They're often piped up incorrectly. We can't see what that valve actually does.
A bit of a drip isn't an emergency so no need to panic or pay emergency rates.
Ask on the phone if the plumber is G3 registered. If not, try a different one.
G3 is the part of the regs which applies, you have to do a 1 day course for it, periodically renewed.

G3 should sort out, possibly expansion vessel problem, but still two levels of protection, the expansion valve which operates (opens) at 6.0bar and the temperature & pressure valve which opens at 7.0bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back