Help - Wet Floor Corners in Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently we have our kitchen and conservatory refurbished by a guy sepcialized in kitchen installation.
Our property is ground floor flat of three floor victorian house.
Our kitchen is located in North East side and the conservatory is attached to the kitchen's north west wall to extend the space into our garden.
The conservatory is 'Lean to' type and three directions are all glass with double grazing, the size is about 2m wide x 2m long x 2m high, like a cube except the roof which is about 30cm higher on the building side than the other end.
I believe the frame structure is white painted aluminium with some plastic bits.

When we bought the flat 5 years ago, we already knew that the corners of the conservatory floor was soft and need attention.
We thought it might be because of damp from the ground or, rain water when the sliding door of the conservatory is open in rain.
When the builder refurbish the kitchen and conservatory floor this Summer, he removed the laminate covering and found out that wooden floor board underneath is completely rotten away because of damp or water.
He couldn’t specify what was the cause of it but he recon that it is not damp from the ground because the bricks and other thing under the floor level is pretty dry (and I saw it myself).
He said most probably it might be due to condensation and the water went down to the floor so we decided to install some trickle ventilations to minimize it
It worked pretty well and the condensation is much less than before.
He replaced the rotten part of wooden floor boards, laid hard board to make it flat on top, then insulation material (white foam sheet material) and finished with veneer flooring board.

However, since last two weeks of rains, I have spotted that all four corners of the floor are becoming wet – not like water sitting on the floor but the veneer floor panels are showing darker colour as if water is steep inside of the board.
Other parts of the floor are dry including edge of floor where it meets glass frames.
Only the corners of the floor are wet.
In fact there has been almost no condensation yet after the Summer, I am a bit confused as well as disappointed.

Now I started to think that it might be the frame structure of the conservatory that let the water to come in from the corner.
The reason for this is that after stopping rain since yesteday, the wet corner is now getting dry (not completely) again.
As I don’t have any knowledge of conservatory structure, I would appreciate your advice and would like to know if it is worth sealing the frame structure (I don’t know where though.)

Sponsored Links
what's under the floor? are the floorboards sitting on suspended joists? (off the ground) is the area under the floor ventilated via airbricks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back