HELP! What is max laminate run without threshold!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please,

About to lay laminate flooring in my daughters new flat. Have done laminate flooring a few times but am experiencing a new problem. Her flat (concrete floor) is generously proportioned - lounge is 6.00 m x 5.00m and leads to an entrance hallway that means I would have a continuous laminate (diagonal ) distance of about 10m if I don't include a threshold . I am concerned that with such a run the normal 1/4 inch gaps under the scotia won't be enough to accommodate the expansion. Does anyone have experience of such "long runs" of laminate? It would make life a lot easier to avoid include a threshold
( which would have to be over 2m long ) . Any help from people with experience of long laminate runs would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Groucho

Sponsored Links
The max area depends on the shape of the area as much as the actual area itself.

The area is likely to be within the products tolerance, however having a narrow pinch point such as a doorway, will mean that a door profile should be fitted as the hall and main room may be subject to different rates of expansion/contraction, the doorway area becomes the weak point and is the area that any problems are likely to occur.

If aesthetically it really must be all in one, just be aware that you may need to retro-fit a profile if you have an issue, or for peace of mind, fit a profile anyway.

Thanks crazy daze ! I'm still in 2 minds about this job. The flat is on the second floor and has a concrete sub floor which I've heard helps to minimise floor movement? I don't think there will be big change in temp between the lounge and the hallway which leads to an internal area in the flats.

Concrete floors usually accentuate movement of a floating floor due to the fact that they normally go through higher changes in temperature and humidity. In a second floor environment, this is less likely to be an issue. What would be an issue for example would be that a floor exposed to a lot of heat /sunlight such as the lounge, will react at a different rate to that of a cooler, internal hallway.

Before you do anything, check your deeds!!!!!!!!! Many flats cannot have hard floors like laminates fitted as the deeds forbid it, simply because the noise transfer through the floor compared to carpets is a noise nuiscence for neighbours.

Sponsored Links
Thanks crazy daze
Just a few final questions:

1. The flats are 10 years old , and the flat is on the second floor, I'm assuming I don't need a damp proof membrane?( the floor currently presents as bone dry and dusty)

2. As for the issue of laminate flooring, all the flats I've seen in these gated community flats have laminate flooring so no issues with deeds?

3. This flat already had a laminate floor when purchased, and no transition at the doorway that I spoke about in previous messages. Unfortunately there had been a major leak from the boiler which caused virtually all the existing laminate to swell and rise ( this has all been thrown out of course). So this didn't provide a useful clue as whether the absence of a transition had actually caused problems!!. I take your point about the potential difference in expansion areas, I'm a science teacher! ( in fact the lounge has a very large floor to ceiling window with an easterly aspect) so I have been scouring the internet for possible long transitions. Unfortunately having difficulties .Most transitions involve glueing down the base strip onto the sub floor- surely that is totally unsuitable for concrete. I wonder could you recommend a manufacturer who can supply long lengths of suitable transitions where the base strip can be screwed down. I will need in total nine transitions ( this and 8 single doorways) so I clearly want them to match. ( I'm very worried about buying a load of stuff "unseen" on the internet). I've bought in 6mm fibre board underlay, and the laminate flooring is 12mm thick.

4.Just remembered there will also need to be a wide transition linking the lounge to a floor- tiled kitchen area.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated - will be starting to lay the flooring on Monday!

Groucho

Most transitions will come in two parts, a track, and a transition that clips into the track. Most tracks can be screwed or glued down. Glueing will be fine with something like gripfill but you will need to allow 12-24 hours for the track to glue properly. If you have pipes etc be careful screw and plugging the tracks down.

We ther you use a transition or not and wether you use a DPM is completely down to you and your need to follow the instructions or not.

As for laminate transitions, any range of flooring of any quality should be available to order the correct profiles from the same source as the packs however a lot of DIY chains will sell em. Quickstep do a very good range too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back