HELP what is this ticking immersion?

H

hollyhobbie

this morning when my central heating came on (by timer) there was such a loud ticking noise that itwoke me. first I thought it was a drip but then located it coming from the wires attached to my immersion heater, there are several wires coming from it,these attacth to a shiny box with a funny lever thing on then other wires to a dial with heat(?) measurements on(?) it was just ticking very loudly... never noticed it before. when I turned the boiler timer off it stopped. Is this rally dangerous and can anyone tell me what this could be thankyou, I am a DIY idiot!!

Sponsored Links
Yes!thought it was a timer, but its was so loud!lived here for four years never heard it before! I manually turned system off, now my heating won't come on at all even if I overide the system! I havent got a clue! its freezing cold!Do you think its broken any suggestions will be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your immersion heater is knackered(technical term). The ticking is when two rods of the element rub together, but this is normally prior to it going on the blink!!!

I'm a pro Plumber & don't give out free advice, so if you find the above helpfull, please stick a Pony in a kids charity box. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back