Help!! what's the best way to paint mdf kitchen doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice please. The lacquer on my kitchen doors has started peeling off to reveal MDF underneath. I am thinking about peeling off all of the lacquer and then painting the doors. Can anyone help me as i am not sure what type of paint i should use and how to go about it. I am dreading peeling the lacquer off, just in case it ends up looking worse than it is already. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't try peeling the lacquer off - you'll make it a million times worse and get bored in no time. Your best bet is to replace the doors.
It may seem expensive but by the time you strip them, buy the different paints needed and apply them you'll wish you never started. Plus the finish will be nothing like a factory one.
If you feel you must, try a kitchen cupboard makeover system, although I wouldn't do it myself.

http://www.crownpaint.co.uk/help-and-advice/product/crown-cupboard-makeover-paint.htm

:)

Thanks for the reply. I can't really afford to replace the doors at the moment so was hoping that this would be a cheaper option. Looking at the doors, it does look like the lacquer is quite thick and will peel off easily so may pluck up the courage to go ahead.

I had the same problem but after attempting to paint one door to my satisfaction I gave in. Waited until B&Q had a sale on doors last month and picked up 14 new doors, drawer fronts, plinths and pelmet for £144! I priced the cupboard paint and my time and materials would have been way over the replacement costs and still looked pants.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back