Help (who makes....??)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you help??

Since rewiring my brothers house I have now been told that he want's the kitchen downlighters to be dimmed (13 of them on same circuit - seperate circuit) however they are all switched at the same time. In the same switch plate are 3 other switches which control a 200w spotlight bar, 4 x wall lights & 1 pendant. I have no width sideways as the switch in question is on a pillar, although I could fit a double height back box and use grid switches.

Circuits in switch plate.

a) 13 x 50w 12v downlighters - 2 way switched (want to dim)
b) 4 x wall lights - 2 way switched (want to dim)
c) 1 x 200w bar spot light (4x50w gu10's) to switch
d) 1 x pendant - to switch

Don't mind if we have to use remote dimmer packs!!

Finish required

Brushed chrome or stainless steel - black inserts - flat plate - hidden screws - metal rockers/dimmer knobs - metal grid blanks - no excessive plastic showing

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes something that could do what he wants? (I know it's a tall order, but we had our hopes pinned on the GET range, but after talking to them today they have stopped production of the 1000w dimmer module)

Am now looking at the click range!

Sponsored Links
If it's a 1kW dimmer you need, TLC do one, but you need to fit it in its own box & use a deep one too..

I think you'll struggle to get all that in one grid - most manufacturers seem to limit to 1000W per double box due to heating ( ie 4 gang if you get my drift), so remote may be the way to go - it's expensive though!

I recently installed couple of remote dimmers from a company called Multiload - very helpful - you'll find them on the web

Good luck

SB

Cheers,
I will have a look into your links.

What I did find out myself today was that click do a 1000w dimmer and a dummy dimmer (just switch). I think that I may end up getting these and fitting them to a couple of 2 gang blank plates (1 switch & dimmer in each - 35mm boxes)

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Sorry, just had a look at the multiload site and I don't think that their remote dimming pack will work, as all the cables are in and plastered over; and there is no spare room left in in the trunking (if I remember rightly).
If there are remote dimming packs that only use 2 wires to the dimming module then that would work!!

Nozspark, I did this:

www.yourmissus.com/lighting

...might be suitable.

(Ignore all the stuff about DMX, as it probably isn't relevant to what you are doing, but the 0-10v control stuff is easy, should do what you want, and you can easily convert a normal dimmer to provide this).

The dimmers I used, will do 1500w per channel

HTH
-Dan

Here's a condensed version of those who don't want to read my ramblings.

Take a blank plate, and put a variable resistor in it (4k7ohm for me)

singleinplace.jpg

bigger pic here - http://www.yourmissus.com/lighting/pages/singleinplace.html

...or two if you are feeling adventurous
doubleswitchclose2.jpg

bigger pic here -
http://www.yourmissus.com/lighting/pages/doubleswitchclose2.html

Then stick a stage dimmer or two under your stairs and link it all together!

dimmerrack1.jpg

bigger pic here - http://www.yourmissus.com/lighting/pages/dimmerrack1.html

-Dan

...just re-read your post.

The above would work with two wires too, as 1 of my 3 is ground, (|the others are 10v dc and the signal back)

I see no reason why ground couldn't be the earth terminal, lots of psu's have -ve and ground bonded anyway.

good luck!

noz - I think (?) it was a two wire system from existing switch to remote dimmer, but you'll also need a neutral at the remote dimmer. Brain ain't what it used to be. Anyway multiload's info is quite good, so you'll suss it out, I'm sure..

SB

Cheers guys for your help.

As I cannot rewire this I will have to use the click 1000w dimmer/ dummy dimmer switch and fit them to two blank plates (1 dummy dimmer and dimmer per plate).

Chaps,

The dimmers aren't that dear actually, I paid £50 each new, and that's for 4 channels, I got them from CPC (link to the CPC page on mine) - I reckon a boggo standard dimmer is around £7 each and they can generally only do 250-400watts.

Regarding the use of 1mm T&E to the plugs, that is the actual length of cable that runs to the light fittings in each room, it seemed a shame to cut it and then join it, just to put flex into a plug, and in fairness, they are never moved, I plugged them in and they haven't moved since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back