Help with 3 phase wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, I am in the process of replacing my compressor in my garage. I have 3 phase supply and and trying to figure out how to wire it in. At present i have 3 phases and earth going into an isolator and then to the old compressor.
My new one (to me but second hand) has turned up and is prewired to a 16A red plug with 3 phases an earth and a neutral.

I don't think i can take off the plug and use the old isolator as it does not have enough terminals, also in the plug all wires are red - one to L1, one to L2, one to L3 and two to N.

I take it i need the neutral? it has a triangle picture on the wiring plate.

If i run a piece of 5 core from the fuse box (3 phases, 1 neutral and 1 earth to a Red 16A socket and just plug it in will this be the best method?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
in the plug all wires are red - one to L1, one to L2, one to L3 and two to N.
As this is second-hand electrical equipment would it not be prudent to find out what's going on there before just plugging it in and hoping it's all OK?

Sponsored Links
Presumably the cable with the plug on it is connected to the motor control gear and not directly to the motor.

You have a 50/50 chance of the motor turning in the right direction when you initially connect it. If you get it wrong, you only need to swap any two of the red wires over to reverse the rotation.

For the second time today I agree with BAS. It sounds to me as if the 16A plug is supposed to be the main supply, and I highly doubt the compressor is class II, so I would be investigating the lack of an earth connection. Perhaps there's an earth leakage problem and some bozo got around it in the past by connecting E to N...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back