Help with 4 gang 2 way wiring nightmare!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a new house and I wasn't able to check out the wiring properly.

The main lounge has 4 light "appliances" which I believe were connected through a 4 gang 2 way switch. I took the switch off and cannot figure out how the wiring should go. Seems like I've got a wire missing and there is a single red wire which is on its own!

I've attached a diagram to show you what wires I have. Please help me figure this out as trial and error will take me forever and my wife's patience is limited! I've asked admin to post the picture here. If it doesn't get posted, here is what I have:

I have two sets of red, black and earth

one set of red, yellow, blue and earth
and a single red wire

I have to connect:

one ceiling pendant
one set of ceiling spots
one set of wall lights
one set of under cupboard lights

Help appreciated!!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Just to check, do you mean you have taken the switch off and now it doesn't work any more? :cry: but it worked before?

Since there were no lights (previous owner took them all with her) I don't know if the switches worked properly in the first place. I know I should have recorded the wiring to the switch....but I didnt

Using various combinations of wiring I have seen that all the lights do actually work but cannot get them to all work at the same time.

The best I achieved was the ceiling pendent and wall lights in opposite (i when I turned one on, the other went off) and the other two working ok.

This is a bit of a guess,

But try

Switch A: Red from a T&E to Com, black to L1 (This will probably be ceiling light or spots)

Switch B: same as A (probably ceiling lights or spots)

Switch C: Link the common to common on A or B, and put the single red to L1 (probably undercubaord lights)

Switch D: red to common, both yellow and blue to L1 (this is probably your wall lights)

Can't garentee that this will work, give it a go and tell me what it does

(remember if you are using fuses, to switch the main switch off before putting the fuse in)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back