Help with a wiring a ceiling light...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just moved house and the living room light cables are completely out without a light connection and some help wiring a light in would be much appreicated...

Out of the ceiling there are 4 cables, each with live neutral and earth, two of the cables have their earths connected.

I assumed the connected earth cables were the ring mains and one of the other sets lead to the kitchen (which also wont work atm) and the other was the switching set.
So wired all live together into a block, all earth together into a block which lead to the light earth. then all neutral in a block leading to the light neutral. Then the switching live to the live light. But when i tried turning this on the fuse just goes BANG... so I'm guessing this was incorrect :(

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
For normal ceiling rose lighting you would have three cables.
Two of the cables would form the live, neutral and earth loops. The third would be be the cable that goes to and from the switch.
If you have a fourth cable then you are likely to have a second light that is fed from this ceiling rose and the switch.

You will need to identify which cables form the the loop - and which cable is the switch wire and which cable is to the other lamp.

You can do this with a multimeter.

If you intend to put a ceiling rose up then the live loops go in the centre terminals , the neutral loop in the left hand side terminal block (normally three connectors) and the earth to the earth block.

Then take the switch cable - put the brown/red cable in the live loop and the blue/black cable (with brown/red sleeving on) in the switch live terminal (normally two connectors) and earth to the earth block.
That should get that lamp working.

If the switch does operate another lamp then the fourth cable is connected as follows - brown/red conductor to the switch live, blue/black to the neutral loop and earth to earth block

Is it not definite that the two cables sharing the neutrel are the loop then?
and can I not test for the switching wire with a voltage screwdriver?

Also I only have an 8 block connector (4 x2) ... one side with an L and one with an earth sign.
If i can transfer you instructions over to this does this mean =

ALL RED LIVES -
ALL BLACK NEUTRALS - LIGHT NEUTRAL
BLACK FROM SWITCH and RED LIVE FROM OTHER LAMP - LIGHT LIVE
ALL EARTHS - LIGHT EARTH

If so this is how I wired it... and the fused just sparked when I tried turning it on.

Is it not definite that the two cables sharing the neutrel are the loop then?
and can I not test for the switching wire with a voltage screwdriver?
NO this should not be used - it is dangerous - since you will be testing at 230v. You need to use a multimeter and test for continuity without any power being applied.
Also I only have an 8 block connector (4 x2) ... one side with an L and one with an earth sign.
If i can transfer you instructions over to this does this mean =

ALL RED LIVES -
ALL BLACK NEUTRALS - LIGHT NEUTRAL
BLACK FROM SWITCH and RED LIVE FROM OTHER LAMP - LIGHT LIVE
ALL EARTHS - LIGHT EARTH

If so this is how I wired it... and the fused just sparked when I tried turning it on.
That is correct and it should work.
If not then I would suggest that you have not correctly identified what each cable does.
Firstly check at the switch to make sure you have the right set up there and that the live and switch live are you expect. Check the terminals for tightness.
Either leave off the second light connections and wire as described to see if you can this lamp is working or/and in any case check the terminal connections at the second lamp.
It does sound as if you have a neutral and live cross connected somewhere.
Is the lamp (either of them) pole specific. For example edison lamps (screwin type) require that the neutral is wired to the screw in bit and the live to the bottom of the lamp.

Sponsored Links
it is the screw in type light... but im sure i wired it the correct way.
I think most likely I've got the switching set wrong.
I'll have to invest in a multimeter and report back when I've tested them.

Thanks for all the help :) at least I know I had the right wiring...

One of those cables is the switch line, and the 'neutral' as you describe it is actually the 'switched live' - hence the bang when you turn it on.

You need a continuity tester to find out which it is. If you have one, with the power off just touch the red and black or each cable with the switch in the 'on' position. When you have found which it is, you should get a beep. Turn the switch off to eliminate the beep, then back on again until you are satisfied you have the switch line.

When you have done so, connect the other cables to red/brown - live (loop if it's a ceiling rose), black/blue - neutral; and earths into their terminal.

Your switch line will be red/brown into the loop, and the black/blue on it to the live point on the rose (where the brown flex from the bulb holder goes in).

And you should be well away :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back