Help with Brick Wall Plaster cracks horizontal and vertical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit concerned of a couple of cracks in my house and in particular just one room (which happens to be a new construction dating back to 2010).

The crack imagery might not be so clear as my phone camera is not really that advanced when it comes to megapixels.

However I would like to tell you all here is that the cracks do not reach the bottom. The construction does not have a basement and these are walls above the ground. The shape they take are Vertical, step like horizontal, and horizontal. The cracks are not wide and are less than a millimeter thick and near to a hairline crack.

I have also attached imagery, please do have a look, it is something that has been bothering me and your help would be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Pics of the outside wall would help.

What material is the wall built from?

Is the house on a hillside?
Is there a room above the one shown?

Is there a wood or metal lintel above the window?

If you use the Search facility above this page you can locate similar difficulties and pics, and proposed solutions.

Usually, such cracks are simply the new build settling in against the old structure, and not all that important.

sorry about that i forgot to add imagery to the post, the light is dim so the images dont seem to be much clear, including my camera not having a good lens.

this is a brick mortar structure with a lintel using reinforced steel and concrete.

these are hairline cracks are not really that wide. i would say roughly 1-1.5mm at most in width and then happen to vanish as you start moving downwards.

Thanks for the information.

Why not wait and see if the cracks develope or open up - dont attempt any repairs or use of filler. Allow until, say after next winter.

You could use tape to mark the extent of the cracks for future reference.

Sponsored Links
As above, you really need to show views of the exterior to give the larger picture.

If the cracks are of fairly narrow and uniform width, it's generally not a serious structural issue - maybe shrinkage?

How long do you guys reckon i need to observe these cracks in order to make sure that it is nothing fatal?

i will take pictures of exterior as well and let you all know, on the exterior side there are really thin lines of crack starting from mid of the wall and also one or two starting from lintel down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back